1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When porting a cab, do you...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by m.oreilly, Oct 31, 2010.

1. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    ...go by the driver's free air resonance, or it's 'usable' low frequency? also, is it better to use one large port over two or more smaller diameter (round port) ones? i'm just about to do some cutting, and needed to know before i went too far
    :confused:

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Do yourself a favor and don't cut anything yet. You got WinISD?

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. The asking of the question says you aren't ready to do any cutting.

4. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    nope. i went with one of these online calculators, and came up w/ a 6" duct with varying length for different tunings. this is for two deltalite 10" in a 3.0 box...

5. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    also would love to go simple, and use a slotted port, triangular being even better (like my berg cab, and just one cut across a corner of the baffle)

6. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    winisd gives me a 4" port @ 1.1 " length...

7. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    ...or a 6" at over 2" for a res of 60hz...like i had originally. so what should one tune for? the free res or the 'usable' lowest frequency???

8. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    anyone?

9. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Neither is what you go by.

What you do is, you model a lot of different tunings, looking at the frequency response curve and excursion-limited power handling while maintaining sufficient port area to avoid chuffing at high levels, all while keeping build-practicalitiy in mind. Programs are written for round ports; as you move to other shapes that have larger perimeters relative to their cross-sectional area (like a rectangular slot port), the port lengths predicted by the program become less reliable; the actual required length is reduced, though I'm not sure why.

Any tuning you choose will be a juggling of tradeoffs, a compromise among several factors (some of which are mentioned above). Overlook or over-emphasize one factor and the result can be poor performance.

10. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Duke, what program would you recommend to calculate excursion-limited power handling? WinISD is a nice utility but doesn't seem to have that feature. I don't know if WinISD Pro provides this but it locks up on my PC running Vista (aaargh, hate that OS).

11. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
  12. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    what do i look for in the winisd chart?
    here is what i get with the 6" duct for 53hz:

[​IMG]

and 60hz:

[​IMG]

13. DukeLeJeune

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    M.orielly, I don't use WinISD. You can look at those curves vs other tuning frequencies to see what gives the shape curve that will best suit your needs. But, that will not tell you the whole story.

Without knowing what the excursion-limited power handling is, I would suggest you tune somewhere in the 42 to 48 Hz ballpark, as that usually works pretty well. 53 Hz is pretty high unless it's a relatively small enclosures, and the result can be premature fartout if you don't use a highpass filter to protect the woofer from over-excursion. 60 Hz is quite likely to result in early onset of fartout without a protective high-pass filter set pretty high. So in this case, my off-the-cuff suggestion is to lower the tuning frequency down to 48 Hz or maybe even a little lower. You lose some meat in the 60 to 120 Hz region, but in exchange you gain some real-world headroom, and imho end up with a better balance of characteristics.

14. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    thanks for that ;)

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The box is too small. Let the program calc the ideal configuration, per driver it will give 2.16 cu ft /50 Hz.
    Run it in Windows 98 compatability mode.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    WinISD Pro Alpha? It's easy to calculate excursion at various frequencies, varying amounts of power, etc., what different tunings do to the low end, port air velocity, what applying eq will do, etc. Translating what your ear wants to hear to what that looks like on paper is the kicker sometimes.

It is good for predicting what will happen in the lows. As far as what the mids/highs will do, consult the spec sheet for the driver. It will figure it out for you but consider that the "technically" best box for the speaker may result in something that's too big to be practical or tries to reach deep lows that aren't needed to make a bass guitar sound good and could be traded off for more real power handling where it counts.

17. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    bill, here is an eminence 'medium' box for the two drivers (mine is actually a little larger)

[​IMG]

18. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Having No Port Chuffing is important & must be under 0.16 to no whistle...
    Having one big port over two smaller ones wont make much difference, this is what ive been told anyway.Main thing with them is the ports shouldnt be more than about 5-10% shorter or longer than calculated so it must be done properly to get the right tuning.
    I definitly had problems with tuning at first but after it was set proper i got the sound i need.I found out the hard way that you cant just stick speakers in a cab & off you go.
    My rig now fills out all the bass needed to get the job done @ any volume basically....Anyway
    I went for 42hz tuning with the BP102.
    Who said the 102 is no good ??

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Do the area of a circle/volume of a cylinder thing and see how a little bigger circle gets you a lot more area. The limit is bigger pipes need to be longer to get the same tuning, happy mediums in there.

20. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    i'm waiting on my duct (6" by 6", with a mounting lip on one end) to get here before doing the cutting. i'll play with various lengths, though it looks like i may need a bit longer one to hit in the 40s.