Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When should I join a band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by profautovoncoq, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Hi everybody,

I've been "playing" bass for about 3 or 4 years, on and off (because i'm lazy like that), but have recently been taking it fairly seriously, even paying for lessons for the last 2 months, despite being too broke to afford them.

I've even been in a few bands, but they were all really shortlived (due to egos that werent mine) and with friends. So there were huge possibilities that I was only in them because I had a bass and was around. Besides, I felt like I was just kinda barely surficing. :meh: even if no one said it.

But basically, I'm not really sure of what I can do/where I'm at/where I should be, at all. My lessons are a lot of theory now, mostly leaning towards jazz, which I like, but for any band I join, I'd prefer rock. :bassist: So basically, what things are vital to be able to do in a rock band? How good does my ear have to be? If I auditioned, what exactly would people expect me to know? Any advice would be keen, thanks.
    :help:

2. Just be able to be in rhythm with the drummer, and that allow you to play well. You don't necessarily have to have a trained ear or do much more than pound root notes, but sound tight with the drummer. Practice with a metronome/drum beat and play along to you favorite songs. Make sure you have good timing and concentrate on becoming more at ease with the bass. Keep learning jazz, because it's a huge part of rock as well. You can join a band right now, and you'll probably get to exercise all of the above by playing with others. If not, keep working on timing and ease of playing until you feel like you can keep up with others.

3. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    join a band as soon as possible. look for the right thing that agrees with you and your taste and join. i was in a band as soon as i bought a bass, you get so much better in a very short time when you're in a band, especially when you play with musicians who are at a higher level. it will push you to the limit of your ability and will make you hungry to learn more.
    and the most important thing ofcourse, being in a band is a lot more fun than playing on your own.

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    As the above poster said with a little variation, play with others as much as you can, especially ones better than you. Since I started I have always played with friends, especially my drummer friend who started the same time as me. There is no substitute for playing with other people. The things you learn in that enviroment cant be mimic'ed well on your own in my opinion.

Learning to play, and learning to play with others are two separate things. Watching people for changes, keeping in time (more to the point, playing in time with the rest of the band), recovering from mistakes, and simply getting a sense for the music in relation to its other parts. All of those things are necessary for playing in a band, but it doesnt have to be learned in a band setting. You can accomplish the same thing just playing with people in jam sessions, however impromptu or unstructured the sessions may be.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You should join a band on Tuesday, August 17, 2004. Do it in the evening. Don't let me down, now.

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

6:43.22 PM

7. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    Greenwich Mean Time :D

8. :( Holy geez, i have a dentist appointment then...now I'll never be a rock star...unless I join my dentist's band...but then I'll never have good teeth...I'm so ****ed.

9. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    ...your dentist might be the best drummer ever... with the added bonus that you get free dental care thrown in :D