1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where can I get a case for my Mesa Bass 400?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyAxe, Apr 5, 2015.

1. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Hey everyone. Just curious if anyone knows where I could get a case to hold my MB Bass 400. I had it in a rack but don't really need to lug around that behemoth with all its extra junk. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

To my knowledge none were ever made... and with the fan location cooling is an issue.

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What kind of case did you have in mind?
    A 4U shallow rack would fit it perfectly and there wouldn't be any extra junk.

4. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    bass400.
    This was sorta my first thought, but maybe the rack case would work.
    Would it fit perfectly? It looks pretty good and would probably suit my needs, I just don't want to order without knowing.

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I have that Diesel case in your picture. It fits great, but it's still really large and heavy. I don't use it.

I also have a Road Ready 4U shallow rack and it's arguably a little smaller and lighter. The depth is perfect for my 400+.

A Gator 4U shallow would be even lighter and a little smaller (the lids aren't as deep) but the overall depth would still work.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I have used Gator shallow 4 space over the years and it's a solid, inexpensive, and lightweight case. I recommend it.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    With my 400+ I used a standard 4 space SKB for a while and an 'old fashioned' 5 space plywood rack. Both worked fine, and were way more practical than the huge deep 4 space suspension rack that came with the amp. With any amp like this in an enclosed space, consider some additional cooling. You can find rackmount fan units for the back of the rack, or do what I did, which was bring a 6" clip on desk fan and clip it to the back of the rack.

8. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh, by the way. Using 6L6 tubes in the 400 will give it a pretty "wooly" tone, eh? 6550's and KT88's will offer more headroom and sound more like the 400+?

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I wouldnt say that 6L6 gives you a "wooly" tone by any means. It's a very clear sounding amp in general. However, if you need huge volume for the real loud rock/metal situations the 6x6L6 has it's limits.

Swapping to 6550/KT88 gives you a good bit more headroom (there are a few ways to further increase the headroom- for example, using a clean boost in the FX loop) and a bigger more solid kind of low end. I think a 6550/KT88 power tube config gives it a slightly different flavor than a 12x6L6 400+.

10. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Hmm, I'm thinking the 400 may not quite suit my needs. I'm looking for more of the warm, lo-fi, fat bottom end.