1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where can I get an easy to use HPF...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jlepre, Oct 10, 2019.

1. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    That won't break the bank...

Actual links to where I can order is much appreciated.

I should mention that this is for live gig use.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  2. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
  3. jbd5015

jbd5015

Nov 23, 2009
    Boalsburg, PA
    I have the HPF+LPF unit. Looks like he has to make more! I'd imagine that the micro HPF with the bypass switch is more or less the same circuit in the HPF+LPF for less money. Honestly, I didnt realize how important a LPF can be for bass tone as well.

I replaced the fDeck HPF 3 that is also a great option, but a bit more limited in its function and the design was not as pedalboard friendly.

Zbysek, packhowitzer and Ampslut like this.
  4. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    LPF? Now I'm even more confused. I'm really looking for something that I can set and forget, but I'm seeing that this isn't possible huh

chupacerveza likes this.
  5. JLepre,
    Broughton also has an 'Always On HPF' or one that you can turn on/off with a footswitch. Very easy to use.

6. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I use a Broughton HPF pedal. It was about $100 US and it's on my board, always on, and I generally set it for the particular rig/room I'm playing in, and then forget it. You could also just set it at 40hz and forget it. That's my default but I like to bring it up higher if the amp / room is particularly boomy.

7. jbd5015

jbd5015

Nov 23, 2009
    Boalsburg, PA
    They arent too complicated. You just select what frequency and thats it. Its a one knob situation.

That frequency will change depending on the situation. I typically run mine anywhere between 40hz - 120hz. The biggest determining factor is the room.

A LPF does the exact same thing, just at the high frequencies.

8. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    So would this one be a good easy choice?
    https://www.broughtonaudio.com/product-page/high-pass-filter

9. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I bought an fdeck series 3 . It had a set 12db hpf at 35Hz and another 12db that is adjustable from 35 to 140Hz . With the two filters it always has 24db cut below 35HZ and then you can pick where the next 12db filter cuts in from 35 to 140 Hz . I didn't want to have to use a wall wart power supply and the fdeck can be used with a battery or a power supply . I set mine on top of my PF 800 bass head and use a couple short cords into the effects loop . I have noticed a difference with the low end tightened up but still get impressive low end . I like it . I'm sure the Broughten would be great too .
    HPF-Pre, updated December 16, 2018 - hpftechllc

10. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    There is the “Thumpinator”.
    [sfx]:micro-thumpinator

This would be very much set and forget as there are no settings...

Zbysek, EMoneySC2, clayworx and 6 others like this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This is the one I use.

https://www.broughtonaudio.com/product-page/always-on-high-pass-filter

It is brilliantly simple. The lack of numbers on the dial forces you to use your ears (which is what you should do anyway).

I usually don't use mine in rehearsal. But last night I threw it in front of my rig. Our keys player, also a sound guy with fantastic ears, didn't put me in the PA for the first time during rehearsal. He said while I was warming up "Your tone is so focused tonight I'm not going to ruin it by putting through our subs". He had no idea I had run the HPF.

Sure, HPF are a fad. They're "hip" right now. But sometimes fads show up for good reason. These things simply work. They function as advertised. Grab one and enjoy the results.

Stugilliam, Balog, Zbysek and 12 others like this.
  12. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    I have the Broughton always on and it works well, I really like it.

13. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Another satisfied Broughton HPF owner! :)

14. Col Pruse

Col Pruse Supporting Member

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    instrumentalist likes this.
  15. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    +1. I have this one and it's great. You dial in the HP frequency you like, and then you forget about it. Not expensive, does the job, but it does not come with a power adaptor so keep that in mind if you order one.

16. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Can you give me a link for the power adapter too?

17. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    +1 for Broughton Always On.

Turn the knob until you like what you hear. It's literally a set it and forget it solution.

18. Happy Broughton Audio HPF (always on) owner here too!

eriky4003 likes this.
  19. JMV

JMV

Apr 23, 2019
    Never heard of HPF until joining TB few months ago. Ordered a Broughton and love it. Real game changer when dialed in to good threshold for room/setup. For me , it fell into “where’s this been all my life” category! :thumbsup:

Stugilliam, Zbysek, DJ Bebop and 4 others like this.