1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where did I go wrong? Gotoh 203 P bridge replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by goodformetal, Apr 21, 2015.

1. goodformetal

goodformetal

Feb 17, 2015
    Oregon
    My new bridge arrived in the mail today, so without delay I got out the drill :rollno: and gave the honey p a little upgrade - or did I?? The install went smoothly but it has made a seemingly unrelated issue crop up with the bass (or more likely, my ability to do a setup).

The bass played great with super low action before. Now the open A string buzzes to beat hell.. I re-adjusted the truss rod to give a little more relief than before (now at about 0.015"). I also raised the string height to higher than it was (6/64" from 4/64"), and the nut action seems to be correct at close to .003" or a little over. I reinstalled the same strings and tried to make sure the existing 'reference' points on the strings lined up on the saddles correctly as I put them on.

Should I have bought new strings? Maybe the nut reference point is off now due to the bridge dimensions being slightly different? The only other scenario I can think of is if the factory had cut the A slot in the nut too low and shimmed it with something, then said something falls out unnoticed when i removed the strings...:banghead::banghead::banghead: Should I try new strings before messing with the nut or taking it to a professional??

I should say that overall I'm happy with the bridge, as it accomplishes what I was after, which was stability. My only gripe is that that the saddle height adjustment screws are way longer than they need to be, and they're a little rough on the palm. I'll definitely be replacing those with shorter ones.

Thanks for all your help, patience and wisdom in advance! Here's a couple pics for good measure:

image_zpsowmtd4hj.

image_zps6oddlvma.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Definitely go with new strings first.

goodformetal likes this.