Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where is the thread on learning the fretboard?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jetmech727, Feb 9, 2005.

1. jetmech727

jetmech727

Jan 29, 2005
    Just wondering where it is I forgot. It was a good link with a bunch of ideas for learning the fretboard. One in particular was awesome.

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
  3. jetmech727

jetmech727

Jan 29, 2005
    Thats not the one. But thats a good one. Probably more intense. The one I was talking about showed how to learn where all the notes were....thats all it was. The idea was to look at a block of frets in some circular type pattern to find out where all the notes were. Like I said, it's just to help memorize the fret board. Theres no theory involved.

4. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Are you talking about this one in Mike Dimin's forum?

5. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
  6. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    This is the bass guitar as Neo sees it from the movie, The Matrix.

And Garry Goodman. I wonder how well he knows the fretboard.

Garry Goodman Link

7. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    After 40 years of playing in 4ths-i am a fretboard

8. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    You are amazing.

9. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Thanks Tim.i was just making an attempt to be humorous.We all speak "4ths".I think knowing where the notes are and how to finger every "intervallic" relationship is essential.

With the twelve string,the fretboard extends into octave 7.i have made a fretboard graph that shows the fret location, the written note on the staff and the note and octave ( such as Eb6). This way every note one would encounter on the grand staff can be found on the fretboard.This way all notes,including ledger line notes can be identified quickly and located on the fretboard.I like to look at a fret,and be able to hear that note in my head.Putting a pitch with a fret on a graph makes it easier for me.

It's being able to play most anything i encounter on a piece of sheet music or music I hear without any restrictions from the bass.Now I am spending a great deal of time internalizing a new tuning on a 92 guitar fretboard.
    I know the fretboard but I have to explore the new possiblities,so it is adding dimension to my earler concept of the fretboard.It's making the the endless fretboard diagram a"living thing".