Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where should my volume pedal be (in relation to sansamp)?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by funkedupbass, Jul 3, 2005.

1. I'm using a volume pedal and I'm wondering where I should place it in my effects loop. My current string goes volume, tuner, tech 21 bass xxl, rat, sansamp bass driver, chorus. I know I've heard to place the xxl and rat after the sansamp, but doesn't sound as good as placing it before (to me at least). I'm wondering If I should place my volume pedal first or last? Isn' t the idea to get the loudest signal possible to the sansamp?

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I think volume should be at the very end so you can control your input to your amp's preamp better.

So I would go tuner-xxl-rat-sansamp-chorus-volume-amp

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Are you using the Sansamp as a DI? If so I would put the volume just before it. It will also let you change the strength of the effect. If you put it after, tone will be exactly the same, but at different volumes.

4. I'm not using the sansamp amp as a di. If I need a di I usu~~~y go from the back of my svt-4. I'm leave the sansamp on for some tone shaping, but mostly to add that constant grindy overdrive growl for the rock music. Would the volume pedal before my rat and bass xxl be controlling them too. This might add some clarity as to why distortion is getting lost in the mix.
    Also is it better to be using an effects loop instead of straight from bass. How would I use volume pedal with this?
    thanks,
    -eric

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    if yo uawnt a constant grindy tone, i would use it after the sansamp so that your drive setting would remain unchanged while you adust the volume up/down

6. gstopyra

gstopyra

Dec 29, 2013
    So is my signal considered low impedance after my sansamp PDDI? Should I have a low z pedal (25k) or high (250k). I'm not using sansamp as a di...have reverb and delay after it before final DI to mixer (house PA).

7. You SIGNAL is not any type of impedance. It is a voltage, and a signal cannot have impedance. Usually with music gear (pedals, amps) the output of the equipment is designed to have a low output impedance and a high imput impedance. This is to try to get the best possible transfer of signal from the output of one device to the input of the next. This wouldn't change for your Sansamn, you should have a high impedance pedal after it.

8. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    The Sansamp puts out a low z (unbalanced and buffered) output from the 1/4" out. Do you want the pedal to act as a volume for your bass going into the effects, or do you want the pedal to be a master volume for the effects chain before it hits the amp? From what I've read, if you want the VP first, go with the 250k. If you want it last, go with the 25k.

9. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    What he said. I use the 250K VP first in the chain because my Gibson doesn't have a master volume knob.

10. gstopyra

gstopyra

Dec 29, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I never did well in my electrical engineering classes...much better at mechanical engineering!

I want to run bass (passive PUPs) - polytune - overdrive - sansamp - VPjr - reverb - delay - looper - DI to board. I'm looking to use volume pedal for swells and ambient without effecting gain on sansamp or overdrive (for those times I want a little drive)...so that's why after my sansamp. I'm not totally locked into that though...I've used my bass volume before with success...just want more foot control so I can free my hands up.

I should be getting my 250k soon and will try it out at different spots in my chain. If I understand, a 250k pedal on a low z signal will roll off LOTS of signal quickly...and will give me a lower tone?

Thanks for your patience everyone.

-Greg

11. Maybe keep the volume before the delay.

12. gstopyra

gstopyra

Dec 29, 2013
    Definitely! I just think I got the wrong kind of Ernie Ball. VPjr. I got the high z (250k) instead of the 25k since I want it after my sansamp (preamp)