1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to buy ERB strings? (tuning loooow)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by eyvindwa, Aug 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Hey,

I tune a couple of my basses to low G standard (two full steps down from B E A D G), and I've been using Kalium strings' balanced set with a .166 for the low G. I have been very happy with the sound of the Kaliums, but I'm getting skeptical about ordering more from them, seeing as the number of complaints on their Facebook site has really skyrocketed.

Can you recommend other suppliers that stock "non-standard" gauges?

Excerpt from Kalium's FB page:
    upload_2017-8-16_20-44-57.png

If anyone from Kalium is on here, comments would be greatly appreciated. After all, I still do love your strings.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I don't think Dasein O'Seven is going to get any help, LOL!

What is a ERB?

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  3. ERB is Extended Range Bass, any bass that goes higher or lower than the standard BEADG range.

Kalium has them, you just have to wait a billion years to get them.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    USA: Conklin Guitars have .165. They are made by SIT and are, i think, similar to SIT Power Steels
    Conklin Guitars Snakeskins Extended-Range Bass Strings
    Germany: Pyramid have .160 .170 .175
    Saiten und Zubehör für alle Instrumente - SchneiderMusik.de Online Shop
    D'Addario now have singles .160 .165 .170
    http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=189&productname=XL_Nickel_Round_Wound_Single
    UK (custom): Newtone have made up to .270
    Newtone Strings – British Handmade Strings est.1985

HaphAsSard likes this.
  5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    What gauges are you using?

A D'Addario dealer can put together a set for you using singles... They have a .165 available and you can build the set from there...

6. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Thanks for all the feedback, now at least I have several options. I do hope, though, that Kalium will get their act together!

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    They've had these problems, and others (webstore broken, not receiving messages anywhere, orders getting lost) for years. At this point, I'd assume the problem is the people, not every other piece of the system along the way.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021