1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to get my hands on an upright?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by superfunk47, Mar 9, 2008.

1. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Hey guys,

I'm new to upright (played BG for about 4 years) and am looking at buying one of my own. The only problem is my location; I'm in eastern Washington (Pullman, if you're curious...go Cougs...). I've been searching (newbie links, google, etc.) for a place that deals upright basses, but haven't found any closer to me than Seattle.

My question is this: is there any good way of finding a list of bass dealers, state by state?

I looked at a few sites like Engelhardt, and Upton to look for dealers but couldn't find any, and looked at Bob Gollihur's site and found a few in Seattle. I'd still prefer someplace closer, though, if it's possible.

So, any place I might look?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Forgot one thing -- I'm looking for places that have them in stock because I really want to feel one, touch it, before I buy it. Part of me just doesnt feel comfortable with laying down 1500-2000 clams for something I can't see or touch first.

3. jtallent

jtallent

Sep 15, 2007
    Mantua, NJ
    +1 ... Same boat here. I've been looking casually for a year or so but want to seriously investigate this. Tried to find luthiers/dealers in my area that carry a good selection of descent entry level basses (probably a hybrid) but I don't seem to be looking in the right spot for a good list (Searches and Bob's list haven't helped me either). The only person I've come across is Ken Smith that's even remotely close to Philadelphia.

4. Can't say I blame you for wanting to try before you buy, but the unfortunate reality is that this will require a bit of a road trip. If it's not on Bob G's list, it probably doesn't exist. Personally, I think it would be well worth the trip if you can make arrangements ahead of time and make sure that a dealer will have a few basses set up for you and allow you the time you need to make a decision.

OTOH, though that is a lot of dough, consider that some folks will spend 5 or 6 figures on an instrument (not me so far) and $1-$2K by comparison is chump change. The handful of dealers often mentioned here (AES, Upton, etc) who ship basses in that range have had mainly positive feedback so your chances of getting a good bass sight unseen from one of them is pretty good. Still and all, I'm right there with you. I'd insist on trying first, even if the one you try won't necessarily be the one you buy. So, start making plans for an overnight trip to Seattle.

5. I'm with Mingus. Hit the road. I found my '34 Jaeger in Detroit last spring. That's a bit of a trip from the DC suburbs, but I left the house at 5:30 a.m., played the bass for about an hour, loaded up the car and headed home. Got back at 11:30 p.m. just as the trip meter turned 1,000 miles!

I think the trip would have been a lot longer if I came back without the bass, but I was prepared to do that if it wasn't what I was looking for.

Happy hunting.

6. LoBassKing

LoBassKing

Feb 25, 2008
    Lolo Montana
    Hammond Ashley in Issaquah Washington is your best bet. They usually have a good selection of used instruments, and carry Englehart as well. I don't know of any place in Spokane.

7. wendell

wendell

Jun 6, 2007
    Cleveland
    jtallent,
    Why not try Shank Strings in Elizabethtown, PA? He usually has a good collection of basses to try out. Probably about 2 hours from you.

8. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    LoBassKing,

I saw Hammond Ashley on Bob Gollihur's site. It looked like the place to hit were I to head over there.

As an aside, do you guys think I'd be better off going to Hammond Ashley, or just ordering Upton's Standard model bass? Is it any good?

Thanks for all your replies! :)

9. jtallent

jtallent

Sep 15, 2007
    Mantua, NJ
    Thanks for that suggestion. It looks like they might be a good option. You're right, they're almost exactly 2 hours away.

BTW ... superfunk47, sorry for hijacking your thread a little. :bag:

10. Don C

Don C

Jan 13, 2007
    Victoria BC
    Also try "The Bass Church" in Seattle, they usually have lots on hand.

11. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Call ahead, I believe the Bass Church only shows instruments by appointment. They give lessons throughout the day and have a relatively small, common space.
    I believe Hammond-Ashley has a regular store, but it would still be advisable to call ahead.
    RD