1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to move, US cities?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lukas86, Sep 27, 2009.

1. I’m currently in Whistler, BC Canada, and its ridiculously expensive, has a poor music scene and not a heap of culture. Only some good scenery and outdoor activities.

I’m moving to the US, but I haven’t decided which city. I have been to a lot of cities in the US, and at the moment I’m tossing up between Seattle, Chicago, Milwaukee and Baltimore. What is the best city for live music/nightlife, and is also reasonably priced for rent/food/cost of living, and a reasonably low crime rate etc.?

At the moment Seattle seems like a logical choice because it’s in close proximity to where I am now (BC), and has a milder winter (i.e. little or no snow) than the other cities.

I’m open to opinions/advice.

Thank you,

Lukas

2. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    Are you sure? Moving to the US now from Canada is ridiculous. Are you ready to pay out your south end for health insurance? Are you ready to pay more for inferior &*^%$ than you do now for readily available sticky icky BC &ud???? Do you want to ski powpow worse than the perfect you know so well? Are you ready to pay taxes and vote for politicians who are all in the pockets of big corporations and who ignore what their constituents want? What makes you think the nice parts of the US are cheaper than the nice parts of Canada?

I would love to trade my citizenship/passport for yours, dude.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I love the US, don't get me wrong, and am happy to live in Madison. With that said, I would not say it in as many words as post #2, but I would advise against moving to the US unless you have a pretty good assurance of permanent employment with health benefits before jumping ship.

I suppose one option is to maintain your Canadian citizenship and live in a border city so you can go back to Canada when you need health care.

You will be hard pressed to find a bigger city with a lower crime rate.

4. Move, then, We don't need you.:spit:

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    What's your occupation....other than musician?

Riis

6. Of the cities you listed, I would go with Seattle. Very beautiful city, and from what I gather has a decent music scene.

I'd definitely avoid Baltimore, as that city has one of the worst crime rates in the nation. Certain areas of Chicago are supposed to be really scary as well.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Why not Vancouver?

8. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

This is what I was thinking. Seems like there are good options within Canada.

9. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Dude i have nothing to say really except my name is Lukas with a K to , i dont really see anyone spell it that way.

Ever thought of L.A suburbs? tons of music there, out of your choices i would take seattle but i am into grunge so its fitting,

10. I live in the SF Bay area now but have lived for a couple years in Olympia, WA (near Seattle). Good climate, good vibe, nice people, OK music scene, cool city.

cost of living depends on what kind of $$ you make but reasonable rents can be found.

I would go back to the area but higher wages keep me where I am now.

11. Montreal.

12. Not sure why you would move from Canada to the US right now. I like it here, but you've got a lot going for you in Canada. Health insurance for one.

Just about no city in the US will have a lower crime rate than a city of comparable size in Canada. Also, cost of living in the cooler cities is pretty high.

13. Brisbane
    :ninja:

But seriously. If I were you and out of those choices, I would choose Seattle

14. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Out of the cities you've mentioned, I'd go Seattle first, or Milwaukee second. There's just something about the PNW that's different in a good way.

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hey...I may have only made it through the 6th grade but even I know that Milwaukee is not anywhere near the Pacific NorthWest!

Riis

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    That's why I said Seattle first. Milwaukee has beer and brats. Those hold a special place in my heart as well!

17. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Don't rule out Buffalo. Plus I'm in the Canadian Club.

18. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    depends on what you do for a living and what music you play

19. Baltimore really is not bad at all.

It has a great music scene and it's just in a great location. Living in Maryland i'm less than half a day's drive to Philly, Pittsburgh, DC, Richmond, and New York as well as all smaller cities in between. It's also very close to both beaches (To the east) and mountains and forest (to the west).

While Baltimore does indeed have a high crime rate, it's really easy to avoid the 'bad areas'. Most of my friends live in the Charles Village, Hamden, and Inner Harbor areas and have very reasonable rent. These areas are also close to Colleges (John's Hopkins and MICA) so you have a great college crowd at shows/parties.

Like i said, it has a great music scene and a nice collection of venues for all genres.

I'm from DC, and my band lives in Baltimore. However i'm not really a fan of living in a city anymore, i'm more of an out doors-y guy, so i live about half an hour west of Baltimore. I've traveled quite extensivley over the years, but i seem to keep coming back to Maryland. It really is a rad place.

20. I'd choose Baltimore from that list.