1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where to place the mic?...Help

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by DeadMike, Mar 30, 2006.

1. DeadMike

DeadMike

May 17, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Our band is recording next weekend. We all record together (mixing on the fly, instead of recording separately) to get the sound we want. Recently, we've had the chance opportunity to work with a 16 channel mixer and I have the opportunity to mic by bass amp and use a DI output.

My question is, where do I place the mic? I'm using a dynamic mic (probably a kick drum mic). I've got a 300 watt G&K Backline amp with 2x10 and 1x15 cabs. Would it benefit me to put the mic closer to the 15" speaker to get more of the low end, as I'm getting a lot of clarity from my DI anyway?

Need your opinions...I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

2. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    If you are using a DI and miking then I would say mic the 15" cab so you have that sound - note I say that sound as both your 10s and 15 are probably reproducing the same frequencies just with different color [unless you are biamping and crossing over - with your amp that is!]

Here is the thing - do not get overwhelmed - you will most likely do a few sound check takes - try them both - listen to the playback on the DI and blend in the 15 - if you don't like it record using the 10s and listen back - there is no single answer - it has to do with the liveliness of the room, the mic, the placement of the mic [on axis off axis] etc - Good luck and have fun.

3. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    I'd probably mic one of the 10's and my first choice of mic would be a Shure SM7b, next would be a EV RE20 or RE27. After that it's anyone's guess, maybe a large condensor or I'd like to try a modified Shure SM57 (remove the transformer, it opens up the top/air and extends the low end. The downside is lower output but not a problem if your amp is loud and/or you have a good mic preamp).

Most of the time the low end is gonna get rolled off during mixing anyway. I'd rather have the punch of the 10's - I think.
    BUT tappingtrance is correct, "there is no single answer - it has to do with the liveliness of the room, the mic, the placement of the mic [on axis off axis] etc - Good luck and have fun."

4. The theory that I've heard says that the mic should aim at the mid point between the speaker dome and the edge. It depends how much time you have to experiment.

Last few times I recorded the engineer just shoved it through a DI box.

One major tip about recording bands however:-
    You WILL overrun. Your bass can be re-recorded later. The most important thing is to release any ego you may have and spend the time helping to get the drum kit right, because that is the one part you can't go back and fix. It will pay you more than double to do this.

And DEFFINATLY budget to buy and keep the masters ;)