1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where Will Fender Go Next?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassic Playing, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Hey guys.

Seems to me that Fender has really been pulling out some great new ideas lately, pushing the envelope in a way that they are certainly not known for. Only recently we have:

Better quality all round (Squier, MIM, MIA)
    Custom Shop Pickups on MIAs
    Fretless and 5 string Ps from Squier,
    Bass VI,
    Fender Dimension

Just to name a few.

So what do you guys think? Is Fender just starting to get the ball rolling? Are we going to see even more changes and new basses? What do you think/hope they'll go for next?

I think it's a good time to be a Fender fan

2. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I agree. Fender seems to be making an aggressive push for more market share with some restyled classics and a couple of real innovative designs. I've always been a Fender fan and have enjoyed their products for years. I hope their efforts are rewarded because, we as consumers, reap the benefits.

3. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I've been pleasantly surprised to see how Fender has stepped up on the Bass VI front. We've now got the Pawn Shop Bass VI from Fender and a Squier Bass VI, both of which are readily available in the United States. There are also some Custom Shop Bass VI's on the market, albeit for almost as much as a vintage one might cost you. And at my local shop I saw a Japanese Bass VI that was around $1200. All in all, the Bass VI seems to be well represented at this time.

As for where they go next? I'd personally love to see them expand the Roadworn line of basses. A RW 60's Precision would be most welcome in my book. And I'd also like to see the Roscoe Beck V signature bass go back into production. But considering some of the features of this new Dimension bass, I suspect that's Fenders idea of a stand-in.

4. Fender reminds me of the problems that other iconic brands struggle with.

General Motors: Lots of engineering expertise, could build whatever they want. Making some good moves at the low end of the market, confusing model lineup, searching for a sense of direction.

Harley Davidson: stuck building historic replicas, can't gain any traction with new designs intended to attract a wider market.

The Dimension bass strikes me as Fender's V-Rod. I find it interesting, because it's finally incorporating technical "innovations" that smaller builders have been using for 20-30 years. Can't imagine that their core fan base will will be happy about the body shape, though. Looks like a bad Yamaha copy...

7dollarbologna and IGotGas like this.
  5. The thing Im worried about is a repeat of that whole Musicman string spacing scenario.

That people have been complaining that Fender is stuck in the past, but will abandon them when it steps up to the plate

Lo end PUNCH likes this.
  6. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    I too would like to see a Roscoe Beck reissue.

bass nitro likes this.
  7. nozkcb

nozkcb Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2009
    All indications tell me further into Mexico and China... :mad: as far as production goes unfortunately.

IGotGas likes this.
  8. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Seems to be the way of the world these days. :rollno: The CNC job shop where I work is no exception either.

But it does seem like in the few past years that Fender was trying to greatly impove on what they've had with all offerings from Squire, MIJ, MIM all the way to MIA....and I LOVE my 2009 AM STD Jazz bass. I mean, wow!! So, they have a bit of something for everyone with all budgets in mind. A buddy of mine doesn't have a lot of money and wanted a Tele. He couldn't afford an American one so he bought a Squire and it's a great playing instrument. I've played it and there's nothing wrong with it!

I'm glad to see they came out with something new like the Dimension basses. I haven't seen or tried one yet but I think it's going to do quite well for them. I think there's a lot of Fender players out there who love the "Fender tradition" while at the same time will totally embrace a new idea from Fender.

9. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Almost forgot - I would also like to see a '68 Telecaster Bass reissue available in the original blond finish:

Attached Files:

fourteenstrings and Flad like this.
  10. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

Hopefully more hollow or semi-hollow body instruments. I like the ideas behind the Coronado/ Starcasters and can't wait to try them but I hope this is only the beginning of their foray into the hollow world...

11. vicvarado

vicvarado

May 10, 2008
    Sabinal, Texas
    An American Special '51 RI type, priced along the lines of the Am. Special P bass. Though in something other than TV yellow, blonde, or sunburst. Seafoam, Candy apple red, or a natural finish. Just my $.02....

12. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    There's only a few options they have to expand their market.

One way is to identify a niche where some other company is doing very well, and out-gun them with your corporate might.
    Fender Rob Allens? (although if history is any indication, they'd just BUY Rob Allen!)

Another way would be to innovate something new.... wireless MIDI bass?

Or they could research new materials and construction techniques that would enable them to crank out VERY cheap, but playable entry-level instruments. $99 molded composite Squier Bullet Affinities?

I dunno, though. Fender OWNS the past, fares pretty well in the present, but struggles with their vision for the future.

13. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Some American made short and medium scale basses would be nice.

I'd really like to see a medium scale USA jazz bass.

Flad, canuckshort and DocGeorge like this.
  14. Daniel L

Daniel L

Jun 12, 2012
    Edinburgh
    The Dimension looks cool, but to me, I like the idea of the classic Fender look, so I would love to see them experiment with pup configs, extended range etc just expand where pawn shop, blacktop and VM series is going at the moment

Also, why is it that the Tele is the main instrument with a Thinline option, a thinline tele bass could look really cool

15. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    As long as they keep their Ps and Js at the same quality level i'm happy.

16. I don't know where Fender is going next, but anywhere they go seems to just be an exciting place, judging from the latest unveiled products!

What I would like them to do is to reissue the Bass V and venture more into the hollowbodies uncharted territory: ok (more than ok!) for the Coronado and the Starcaster; but what about some fresh ideas on the subject? 35" 5 string semi and full hb anybody?

About a Roadworn Coronado and Stacaster?

:cool:

17. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I think they're going to sit on what they have out now for the most part and see what sells and *gasp* listen to the community for any future ideas. Likely see a few of the newly introduced models drop off the roster by next year as well.

I think their next real focus as a company will be on amplification. Their high end offerings are pretty limited, good, but limited still. Their low end models are decent and affordable. If they are indeed going to be shuttering GB as most of us have speculated, they'll take what they can from their current tech and incorporate it into the current lineup and put out some redesigned models and at the same time look to put out some mid price amps and start getting into the hybrid and micro amps that have been so popular. Their competition in that realm is pretty well established and they will need something to compete with the likes of GK and Ampeg if they want to establish themselves as a worthwhile (to consumers) alternative.

DocGeorge likes this.
  18. I'd be a happy individual if the Lyte/Zone series was revisited.

I agree with the poster before me who feels Fender's near-term focus will be on amplification. They've got the distribution built in with GC/MF. It's just a matter of making some inroads on Ampeg, GK, and MB.

19. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I think most of us are waiting for Fender to venture into the ERB realm of basses.

spanndrew and Lo end PUNCH like this.
  20. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    "Most" is a pretty strong word. I don't think very many people are looking for a 7 string 36 inch single cut Fender.