1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which 4 Ohm Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by broosh61, Dec 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. broosh61

broosh61

Jan 15, 2016
    Central CT
    I am heading down the path of choosing a 4 ohm cab. I want a relatively light cab, so i am primarily focused on a 2x12 cab. I want to be able to play this cab either through my Mesa D800, or my SVT, and have it sound good.

I've been reading, and I think I have narrowed my list down to a few, but of course I have no way to listen to any of them - I could use some opinions. I currently have a Berg 210, so a Berg 212 is on my list, as I like my 210. I also like what I read about the Barefaced Super Twin - light, with great sound. Lastly, the Ampeg 212av is a contender as well - a little heavy, but much easier on the wallet.

I would like to keep just one cab i could use for practice sessions, or a gig if / when that happens

So how about it, anyone have experience with any of these cabs?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Hathor 212 and you're done cab shopping for a looong time.

Hathor 212

Al Kraft likes this.
  3. I recently bought a Bergantino CN212 and couldn’t be happier. All the fidelity Icould hope for and handles high volume easily. Also really projects the 5th string.

armybass and Al Kraft like this.
  4. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I play a Tecamp M212. Very light. Great sound.

Bergs are great. I think Genz Benz would be good. Also try Avatar.

bassbooty likes this.
  5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Berg CN212 (or HDN212) and AudioKinesis Hathor 212 mentioned above would top my list! Based on a lot of experience with the CN212 and very recently with Duke's cabs, I can assure you they play quite nicely with the D-800.

6. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

The Ampeg SVT-212AV is a bit on the hefty side in weight, but It's a for real road worthy cab. I use mine with an Ampeg V-4B head, and it's great.
    5Jty2Wg.

freedomryder and armybass like this.
  7. broosh61

broosh61

Jan 15, 2016
    Central CT
    thanks for the inputs all. Time to start my search for a good used cab...

8. See if you can find an Acme Flatwound or Full range. Either will blow your socks off! :D

Zooberwerx likes this.
  9. broosh61

broosh61

Jan 15, 2016
    Central CT
    I have to admit, I'm not familiar with Hathor, I'll have to do some research....

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    They are fantastic cabs, some of the best engineered cabs you'll find.

Al Kraft likes this.
  11. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    The actual brand is AudioKinesis, Hathor is the model.

They are remarkable cabs made to order by a great guy. If you can wait to have one built, you won't be disappointed IMO. The AudioKinesis website has useful information, but the AudioKinesis mega-thread on TB might provide even greater insights.

If you want even more information, contact Duke LeJeune on TB, by email, or by pone and he'll help you select either one of his cab models or direct you elsewhere based on your needs.

LeonD likes this.
  12. broosh61

broosh61

Jan 15, 2016
    Central CT
    As an update: I'm looking seriously at the Revsound 2x10, or 2x12 as they both are 4 ohm cabs, they seem to be well liked from what I have read so far, and they are lightweight

13. freedomryder

freedomryder

Nov 21, 2012
    Seattle area
    One thing to consider is the logistics of running your SVT with one of these cabs. I’m thinking size wise.
    I have 2 of the 112av’s I use with my SVT (and walkabout). Sounds great.
    Not 12’s but I would also consider the Barefaced 410. Seem to be light, loud and a perfect size for an SVT to sit on top.
    IMHO.
    Edit: sorry, the Barefaced actually comes in 8 or 2 ohms.

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Which cab did you end up going with?

15. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I am curious also.

Stumbo likes this.
  16. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Found the answer in another thread:
    @broodh61:

Sorry, I was not watching this thread - yes, I bought a Revsound 210 cab, 4 ohms, 28lbs, and a great sound. Very happy with it. I can use it with my Ampeg, or my Mesa D800, and is sounds great with both. Look them up, outstanding customer service.

17. I've run my Ampeg 2 12 cab with my SVT head in my basement and it sounds great. Haven't run it at a gig with the SVT but it sounds great at gigs with my PF 500. I think the cab weighs in at around 65 lbs. Sure is a lot easier to haul around than the old trusty 8 10.

Stumbo likes this.