Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which arrangement is best?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by tbassist4, Jan 14, 2006.

1. I'm looking to buy Bottesini's tarantella on lemur music. Which arrangement is best, the Vasconcellos, the Zimmerman, or the Scott (the one that has string quartet for accompaniment instead of piano)?

EDIT:
    Also I'd like to find a version of his fantasia I puritani de bellini. Maybe full score? what are the other good ones to get, im on a bottesini craze!

2. or here's a better question, has anyone tryed either and thought it was good and accurate?

3. bulldogbassist

bulldogbassist

Jul 21, 2009
    Even though you posted this a while back, here goes...
    While I myself have the Zimmerman, I think it's a good edition. it's interesting to note how, if you look at the DB part on the piano score, there are alternate bowings and even extra notes, like an open G under the descending triplets in the last repeat section...it gives the section a good effect.

As for other Bottesini works, my favorite include:
    Concerto No. 2 (of course!), Bolero (with a wonderful cadenza!), his elegies, and his Fantasy on a theme from Rossini's "La Sonnambula". The last one is the easiest of them all, I think, and a really flashy piece. You can find a lot of Bottesini pieces in the York editions.