Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Bass Amp Should I buy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by azeng808, Dec 12, 2004.

1. azeng808

azeng808

Dec 12, 2004
    Hey guys Im looking for a bass amp thats loud enough to be heard playing outside but with a clean sound. Im short on cash and I don't really want a huge amp. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    PA support? Either way go used on Ebay. If new, go Behringer BXT3000T and a Dr. Bass 1x15 or 2x12. Both for under $600.00 and loud enough.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    A Used Eden, Ampeg, or SWR in the power range you need, such as a WT-400. Look in the classifieds on this site.

4. It's tough to answer without a budget.

I hear that TB member BillFitzmaurice' DIY cabs are good: loud outside and inexpensive. They have names like "tuba 24" and "DR212". (not sure on the last one)

Dig the Eden heads, but are probablly over budget.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    IMO, you shold look for an amp that will put out at least 300-400 watts into the cabinet(s) you end up using. It will probably be easier on your budget if you get a 4 ohm cabinet, as heads that can put 300-400 watts into 8 ohms start to get expensive. A lot of times you can get away with 100-200 watts, but when you are outside you may need the extra watts in a hurry. Definitley check out used if you can. The classifieds here are excellent.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Define short on cash. $300? $400? $500? I mean, Bill Gates being short on cash, and me being short on cash are two different things. :)

As a starting point, look into a used Gallien-Krueger or a used Peavey bass head. SWR puts out nice gear as well.

-Mike

7. hey due i reckon a hartke ha3500 matched with a 4x10 maybe, got the chance to play one of these at a support gig and i have to say it blew me away, especially for the price they go for