1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which bass would you choose ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jammin Johneboy, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy Guest

Dec 23, 2011
    Ontario
    Hello , I am considering buying a 5 string bass . Right now I am looking at an Ibanez BTB1005 or a Carvin LB75P. The Carvin has the J99 jazz pickup and the HB2 bridge pickup with the piezo pickup in the bridge. Not sure if the BTB1005 has the Bartaloni pickups or the Ibanez pickups . I can't try before I buy because they are both too far away . I can e-mail the BTB owner about the pickups but he can't answer e-mails untill through the week M-F.

Thankyou for your thoughts and insights . John

2. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    The BTB is 35" scale and I prefer 34" scale so if I could only choose between the two... it would be the Carvin LB75p with a 34" scale.

3. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    The BTB has a wide string spacing, and if the pickups are original it will have Bartolini pickups. The BTB also has a wide but flat profile neck that some love and others hate. It also has a 35" scale neck, so the string tension would probably be marginally higher. The extra inch is not noticeable, IIRC it is only 1% difference per fret.

I would personally go for the BTB, but I am biased towards that as I have a BTB475.

4. BluemoonIbanez

BluemoonIbanez

Aug 14, 2012
    I haven't played a Carvin, but my Ibanez SR665PB five string has a paper thin neck and 16.5mm string spacing, so if the BTB1005 follows suit you'll have a hard time slapping, and maybe even playing before getting used to it. My ibanez also has a quiet darker tone, even when plugged into pocket amp with headphones, my squier P bass is SUPER LOUD compared to that thing. Much darker warmer tone. :eek:

5. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    All BTBs have 18mm string spacing, easy for slapping, even on their 6 string models.

6. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy Guest

Dec 23, 2011
    Ontario
    I also forgot to mention the BTB1005 is made in Japan , not Korea . Would that make it a prestige model ?

7. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    I've never played a BTB. I own an Ibanez SR605 and it's angelic!! Can't go wrong with Ibanez basses. I've read in various forums and pages that a 35" is a lot better for 5 string basses. I've never played a 35 but it's supposed to make a difference when it comes to 5 strings. May be something to consider before jumping on either.

8. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Nice problem!!! Both are great, I would base (no pun intended) on the sound you are going for, the Barts are going to have a much different sound that the singles in the Carvin. The piezo in the Carvin is a very nice option, but I love Ibanez. Now that I have been of little help...

9. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy Guest

Dec 23, 2011
    Ontario
    Thankyou for your replys and insights , right now I am leaning toward the Ibanez BTB , I'll have to decide soon. Thanks again everyone .

John

10. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Gold Supporting Member

I would buy the Carvin. I like the feel, tone and ergonomics better than the BTB.

Dan K.

11. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm a huge Ibby fan, but the Carvins are nice as well. The 34" scale means you can find a wider variety of strings to suit your needs. I found the 35" scale on my Peavey Cirrus 5'er to be ridiculously limiting of my options. I must have gone through 2 or 3 pairs that didn't have a B that fit. A well made 34" will play just as well as a well made 35" IMO

12. I'd go Carvin. Neck thru, made in USA, sounds and plays great and the best action I've seen on any bass. (OK, I'm likely somewhat biased b/c I have an LB75).

13. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I too prefer the Carvin. Its a custom shop bass at bargain pricing. Lots for your hard earned $$$

14. The Sailor

The Sailor

Feb 14, 2012
    Nor Cal
    ^what this guy said. Go with the carvin, im more of a 4 string guy but just with my encounters i didnt really like the btb i played, but i really like carvin 6 strings. I dont know about the carvin because ive never played one standing, but keep in mind btb's are known for heaviness if that makes a difference in choice to you.

15. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Carvin but the BTB's do sound good. Tough choice.

16. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Go with the Carvin, really nice bass. The BTB is also a nice choice but the Carvin IMHO is a better around bass.

17. I'm a huge fan of the Ibanez SR5 with the much smaller 34" scale neck compared to the BTB with the huge hurkin' neck, and massive body. In this case I would go with Carvin (really good stuff!), but that's me. Did you check out the Carvin Bromberg bass?

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Get the Carvin, their B is world class, the BTB is better than plenty but far from top shelf. I spent the last few years on a BTB 676 and have happily upgraded to a Carvin LB76 and would never look back.

The worksmanship on the Carvin will be much better and be a better player, I don't know about the string spacings on 5 strings so I don't know what to expect in comparison.

Honestly if pickups are your biggest concern, that is an extremely easy swap. The only complaints people have about Carvins are the electronics, but like I said, that is an easy fix.

19. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    Carvin basses have repeatedly wowed pro reviewers over the years...

My personal tastes lean toward Carvin as well... I also like that it's US made!

I notice a difference in reach between my Fender P and Rick 4003 basses... I personally wouldn't want to stretch to a 35" scale... And I have "larger than average" length fingers (string availability notwithstanding)...

Carvin has a 10 day trial period... Musician's Friend has a 45 day return policy (IIRC)... I'd at least try the Carvin first... Food for thought...

I also prefer 9-10" radius... Flat just feels wrong to me... I don't slap, so that may make a difference...

Such problems to have, right?? Good hunting!

20. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy Guest

Dec 23, 2011
    Ontario
    Well , the Carvin is gone and the Ibanez does not have Bartolini pickups . lol

So for right now I'll keep poking around , I'm in no hurry , those two just kinda showed up at about the same time and interested me .

Thanks again everyone for your experience and your insights .