Which basses have you NEVER had gas for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by El Thumpo, Jul 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Interesting thing about G.A.S., at least for me. I can find myself lusting after basses, but not all basses. I seem to be, in some way, inoculated from certain makes and models.

To be clear: I don't distain those basses. I can admire them for their quality, their style, their playability, etc. But they don't make it onto my drool list. Not always sure why.

For instance:

• Overly pointy basses. Even a gorgeous instrument like an Alembic Spyder just strikes me as too much extraneous wood. FC-2003-06b.jpg
    • Basses with more than five strings. Eh, I just wanna call 'em "guitars". eeb0c74882b3ab0a3eea2e8f90c71f28-1200-80.jpg
    • Rickenbackers. Oh, stow those audible gasps. I'm not committing heresy, I'm not dissing Rickys, and I'm not even mildly criticizing them. They make me smile when I see them, and I will happily root for the aficionados of the brand. I just don't, for some reason, find myself tempted to buy one. rickenbacker-4003-jetglo.jpg

Anyone else? Again, this is all in the spirit of examining one's own compulsions, not disparaging the makes/models themselves.

2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Fender products in general.
    Gibson.
    Anything with paint,pickguards and chrome.

Teicso Del Rey or cheesy 60's retro style.
    Flashy pointed Metal basses.
    Scrolls.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Anything Warwick...never liked that blobby look. Green ones remind me of Gumby.
    [​IMG]
    Metal-head weapon-like basses.
    [​IMG]
    Those Steinberger broom/paddle basses and their ilk.[​IMG]
    Yamaha basses, most Ibanez basses, Hofner, Sire...I could go on, but won't.​

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  4. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    img_3481-jpg-jpg.jpg

5. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Other than a Toby Chennell Arco Bass, pretty much all of them.

jamro217 likes this.
  6. Hey, @armyadarkness has one like that.

armyadarkness and jamro217 like this.
  7. US Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Jackson, ESP/LTD, Kiesel (not to be confused with the old Carvins, which I loved), Warwick, Fodera. Anything pointy. Anything that doesn't have a total of 5 strings.

jamro217 and kodiakblair like this.
  8. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Danelectro longhorn. Just no gas in the tank for me.
    longhorn.jpg

9. WhtMtnGrv

WhtMtnGrv Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Crestline, CA
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

This just made my morning.

I feel the same way about Spectors.

10. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    And I’m certain he’s laughing at us all. Come the apocalypse, the Mothman bass will keep him warm for many winters.

11. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Ibanez Soundgears. Active basses are my anti-GAS anyway. Cheap, lightweight active basses with pot metal hardware and lolly-stick necks are my absolute kryptonite.

Reverend basses. They always make one aesthetic blunder that ruin the designs for me. The Dub King is my dream bass on paper, but it looks like a Tonka Toy rendering of a Gretsch.

Any active Fender.

12. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Those toilet seat music man basses...... Bongo!

13. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Never cared for EBMM Toilet seat basses. I know they sound great, but I just can’t get past the toilet seat look.

jamro217, chaak, SactoBass and 7 others like this.
  14. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    The Internet would collapse under its own weight if I listed all of the basses that I've never had GAS for. :)

M. M.

15. Interspace Station

Interspace Station Director at THE SPACEPORT Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    Came here to say this. While I could say I haven’t had specific GAS for a lot of basses, the Bongo was the first that comes to mind for me as the anti-GAS. GAS-X if you will.

16. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Modern single cutaway basses. The "classic" ones (Gibson Les Paul Bass, Hagstrom Swede, Guild M-85...) I have no issues with but aren't on the top of my "most wanted" list either

I am certain that many of these SC basses sound stunning but I never found one that looked acceptable *to me*. The same applies to anything with a "relic" finish.

It's a thing of beauty to have so many different choices available.

jamro217, FRoss6788, retslock and 4 others like this.
  17. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

anything hollow-body
    any single-cut
    any Gibson or Epiphone
    anything where I can see the neck-dive, or already read or heard about it

18. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Modern single cut basses.

Gibson basses. I've wanted to like them, but every time I've played one...the ergonomics just don't work for me. Weird because they've made so many different basses.

trickyric, And I, FRoss6788 and 5 others like this.
  19. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    I don't know about "never", one of the best playing basses I've ever held was a mid-70s Fender Jazz that had been to hell and back (or, as they say these days, reliced) but was one of the smoothest, funnest things to play. I don't think I've wanted a Fender bass before then or since, but at that moment it was only a lack of $450 in cash at hand that kept me from going home with it.

So basically there are a lot of basses I'm not interested in but would be willing to try out when the opportunity arises, because any one of them might end up being a pleasant surprise.

jamro217 likes this.
  20. Hot take:
    I'm the odd-man out here. The only bass I've ever GAS'd over is the short-scale Squier Bronco. The shopkeep slapped some sense into me, and sold me an Ibanez instead. I've been playing for 2 years now, and have actually played with a couple guys once or twice, and have been 110% satisfied with my single pickup, two-knob Ibanez. Since I purchased my Ibanez, I've never once lusted after another bass. It's a match made in thumpy heaven.

Snack on that for lunch, why don'cha?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.