1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which COmpression would you choose?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by duderus, Mar 30, 2013.

1. duderus

duderus Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2012
    VT1-Bass-Compressor
    http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page28.html

Keeley
    http://www.robertkeeley.com/products/compressor/arlon-prince-4-knob-compressor-2/

OR something else.... Please suggest..

I am in the market to add one at the end of my chain. Not 100% sure if I would leave it on all the time, but I could end up doing so. I already have a series of effects including a DHA VT2 Twin at the moment. (Still getting use to; Will leave on with P - Bass all the time). I feel the compression could help when I plug in my Modulus for slap or my P bass all the time. I wouldn't mind one that had a two setting option. Any ideas? Thank you!

:ninja:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Neither of those is a good place to start. Check the reviews linked in my sig. For a very excellent two-setting option, check out the G-Lab BC-1.

3. liveburning274

liveburning274 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    *Bongo leaps from the shadows at the very mention of "compression"*

4. * Bringing truth and enlightenment in a very murky world *

(And judging by his avatar he is an awesome looking beast)

5. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Yup, your website is awesome! Those reviews led me to getting the 3 Leaf Pwnzor. Lots of good information there.

6. Pwnzor. 'Nuff said.

7. Rossman59

Rossman59

Apr 23, 2007
    Evanston, IL.
    DOD FX-84 Milk Box. Really good and for now still cheap. If you get one don't like it you'll probably get what you paid for it. But I suspect you'll end up keeping it because of how great it sounds.

8. Check out the FEA DE-CL (Dual Engine Compressor/Limiter). I've been eyeing the PWNZOR for a while, but I think the FEA will beat it out.

9. discontinued unless you can find a used one. For simple and transparent you can't beat the Rothwell Love Squeeze.

10. Spencer says that he's out of stock right now, but hasn't said that its been discontinued...at least that I know of.

My second choice would be a Diamond, probably.

11. none of the above.
    I swear compressors are only for imitating the radio friendly mixing style of pre-recorded music. Real live music has level changes and dynamics.
    If you want smoother tone; practice, if you want higher SPL; buy more cabs.

12. from the 3Leaf thread:

13. Oh...well. That solves that. Darn.

Thanks...I think.

14. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have the Empress and its really sweet. Replaced my Diamond comp which was also very very good. I had a Keeley 4 knob and it was just not good on bass.

15. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Not enough eye rolls for this.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    If you want simple and don't play below E, I like the Lime Aid. It loses low end below E unless they've redesigned it.

The EBS MultiComp is nice.

MXR M87 is what's currently on my board.

The Granddaddy is probably one of the FEA pedals, but the wait is long.

The best cheap pedal is the Milkbox.

That pretty much sums up my quest for compression.