1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which EMG p/j for fretless?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sheffield, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Firstly: yes, EMG. No, not wanting Barts.

Secondly: who uses EMGs in their p/j fretless (and/or EMGs in their fretless, flat-out)? What set are you using?

I've listened to as many clips online as I can find and I'm at a loss for how to decide. I know that JimmyM is of the opinion that the EMGx series is really trebley, but I haven't heard that in the (few) clips I've found. Granted I didn't find many.

Points? Counterpoints? Carrots?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well the X series is really trebly...

:D

Hey, what can I tell you? I'm a regular EMG P/J guy.

3. Tommy Preston

Tommy Preston

Apr 7, 2008
    I am in same boat...wondering what to do to a Franken P. I have a Bart P and am wondering whether to add another Bart J @ bridge or buy set of EMGs P/J configuration. I am definitely leaning to the old stand bys though as opposed to the new "X" type. I am trying to get the "Jaco" bridge tone by adding to the P configuration. Happy hunting, If any news let me know.

4. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    OK

I have 2 fretless bases with EMG P/J set up

Both basses are custom built. Both basses have the bridge pickup mounted about 3/4 of an inch closer to the bridge. Pic can be found here. http://www.myguitaronline.com/pics/Twins.JPG

One is a spalted maple body with maple neck and ebony fingerboard. The pups are accompanied by an EMG 3 band onboard preamp. (BQS) I have the X version PJ set up in this bass. The P pup is also moved 3/4 of an inch closer to the bridge

The other is a walnut body with a maple neck and rosewood finger board. The pups are accompanied by an EMG 3 band onboard preamp (BQS). I have the standard PJ set up in this bass.

The difference is quite startling. The maple bass is terribly punchy. It works really well for funk. The walnut bass has a much fuller sound, and works well for traditional Chicago Blues. The bad thing is I can't decide which one I like better.

It's much easier to get that "Jaco" sound with the X series pup

I play in a couple different blues band. We play in small to medium size venues, so I'm usually dialing in the tone looking for the sweet spot at every differnt venue. The x series is a little bit harder to dial in.

If you have any other specific questions, let me know. I'll try to help

Scoops

5. Bumping my own thread.

I went with the PJx set and I'm actually pretty happy with them (the Px sounds awesome, for one). I can see how these would be overkill if you were using rounds; however, I'm really happy with the sound that a balanced tension set of Chromes (40-55-75-95) is giving me with them. It's bright, but in bright-for-flatwounds territory.

I'm currently waiting for a BTC System to toss into the bass. The J pickup isn't soloable, given the huge output of the P-bass pickup; my thought is that I might be able to use this to bass-boost the J so that I can use it solo. Failing that, I'm going to rout the bass for an EMG35 and try a 35CSX in the bridge.

Details to follow in another thread!

6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The J should be much closer to the strings than the P pick up. Lower the P and raise the J. That will even them out.