1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which head has most bang for buck

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bohemond, Mar 14, 2008.

1. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    I have 500 dollars to spend on a new head(prefer to buy new) and two of my choices are the Eden Nemesis RS400 and the GK400Rbiv. I couldnt find any reviews on the NemesisRS400 on this site, I looked all over to no avail.I know the GK is a decent head. I own a Yorkville 1x15 cab (no tweeter). I am aware of the differences in the models as far as watts , eq, etc. Can anyone help with some advice? Thanks

2. cant find much on the eden...so id say the gk..i own an earlier model of it and love it running either my 410s or my 18...which is simaler...kinda..but still love the amp..bought it used 4 years ago....survived a drop down a flight of stairs...6 months later i plugged it into a bad socket and fried the fuse and the voltage regulator and the fan..so its in the shop now but....loved it enough to get it fixed...also look on musicians friend...they have the new backline(which is identical to the old rbs plus overdrive) 300 watts for 299....killer deal if you axe me

3. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    You should be able to do the GK700RBII for about $520 new from RMC Audio.

Ljazz

4. drcool

drcool

Jan 9, 2008
    I have a GK 400RBIV-210 combo right now and for the most part I like it. It puts out a good sound and has a good tone. For some reason it doesn't seem to like my low B string too much. Can't get much volume before it starts sounding like crap.

But I really like it as a practice amp and it is pretty easy to haul around when I need to. Depending on what you need it for I would give it a thumbs up.

5. While the list of features may be comparable I would be astounded if they are in fact the same amp under the hood.

6. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    Thats a great deal for the 700. But when you add shipping and handling its pushing it for me. My wife is ready to throw me out the window now at this point. That Eden to me is very interesting, I wish I could hear some cabs run through it. I know the nemesis is a little cheaper. I read the manual on it. Seems decent. Any more thoughts?

7. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

8. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    According to Bob Gallien:

http://www.instituteofbass.com/archive/product_spotlight/gallien_krueger/

Which products have proven to be G-K's most popular units?

Even though we don't do any advertising at all for them, the most popular head that we have in production today is the 300 watt Backline 600 Series amplifier that is made in China. We sell enormous amounts of those amps because they are affordable, reliable, and they get the job done. In fact, this amp is probably the most popular amp in the world. Although it is made in China, it is constructed with all of the same components that you will find in our American-made amps. This isn't a stripped down head that is made with cheap parts. The Backline 600 is basically a 400RB-IV that is made in China. It's inexpensive, and it's a really reliable, well-built product. If you are just looking at the numbers, our Backline Series cabinets which are made in China with our own drivers are definitely our best-selling cabinets.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If you are satisfied with 300 W, the GK Backline 600 head is a great deal.

10. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    The GKs are tempting but I cant stop wondering about the Eden. The nemesis is 320 watts at 4 ohms the 400RB is 280 at 4. So really not much difference. Plus I like how the Eden lights up( probably stupid I know) Quality wise I'm not sure of the difference between the two. Ive read about quality issues with Eden but not about this head. I've never seen a bad word about GK

11. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    +1

I got the BL600 last December for small gigs. Nice little amp, but I found myself running out of headroom. I ended up getting a used 1001RB II within 2 months.

Unless you must to have new, I advise going used. I got the 1001 and a nice rack for $400.

12. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Last time I checked, it was free shipping from RMC..... and if you live outside of TN, no sales tax.

Killer deal on a seriously killer amp.

Ljazz

13. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    You are astounded...:ninja:

14. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I'd say if Bob Gallien says it, I believe it ;)

I never knew that about GK Backlines, but if it were me, I'd save another hundred and get a Markbass LM2. Weighs less than half of the 400RB, and puts out 500w at 4 ohms rather than the GK's 280w at 4 ohms.

15. Ditto on that! My thought exactly. Great head and plenty of amp for the buck.

16. RIjake

RIjake

Nov 10, 2007
    New England
    Another +1 for the GK. I've got a 400RB-IV through an Avatar 2x10 Neo and am in love with the tone. PLENTY of power for me Plus the reliability and Made in the USA are huge for me. I have no experience with the Eden although have heard good things.

Good Luck, let us know how you make out.

Oh yeah, the wife will get over it too.:cool:

17. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    You can't beat RMC and their deal on GK. I'm saving up for a 700RB-II. Then it's time to borrow/save up for a cab.

Joe

18. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    The only problem with that, is you don't get that kickass GK growl with the LM2. ;)

19. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    I'm going to check out the site/ But anyways I cant go a nickel over 500. Cuz as I said before old girl is having a kniption fit as it stands.:help::help:/ That GK growl is nice:But like I said before that old Eden Nemesis RS400 intrigues the he.. out of me Not sure about the Backlines, I want something a little better. The best head for 500 bucks, Its probably the GK

20. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    I dont need anything more than 300 watts, thats loud enough for where I play/