Which Head with Avatar cb112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joebass, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Joebass

Joebass Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    Central NY
    Just getting back into playing bass. The GF of 8 years purchased a Fender (american) P-bass for me (gotta love a woman who buys you that kind of hardware).

Talked with Dave at Avatar a few days ago and he sold me on a GB112.(should be at the front door today or Monday).

Right now I'm in between buying either a Hartke 3500 or Ampeg B-2R (Lack of sufficent funds prevent me getting an EBS). I'm looking for a nice full range of "studio type" tone. Which one of these heads will deliver what I'm looking for?

I used to own a Ric 4001, played through an Ampeg V-6B head,Ampeg 8x10, Acoustic 301, and a Peavey 4x12 (Yes, all at the same time). So, I gotta clue...but many things have changed since 1990!

We didn't have much (any?) drop D tuning back then! I love the looks/ sounds of of the 5 and 6 string basses Next purchase will be an Ibanez 5 string!

Any comments welcomed on best amplification choice is welcomed..
    Thanks,

Joe B.
    :bassist:

I'm back!!!

2. The 0x

The 0x Guest

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The B2R is kind of underpowered (quietest 350 watts you'll ever hear) and overpriced, and the Hartke is well....hartke. Why not get the new Yorkville XS400H? 400 watts, tube preamp, overdrive channel, compressor (hartke compressors are useless), and is very versatile. Can go from Ampeg to Ashdown to GK to SWR according to people on here. $479 at Musician's Friend. Can't beat it with a stick.:bassist:

EDIT: Also, yorkville stuff is known for being LOUD for their power rating.:bassist:

3. Circus

Circus Guest

Jul 8, 2003
    Spruce Grove Alberta
    aggreed, but check out ebay, musicians friend, bassnw, etc. There are some good deals to be had if you look around. I got a yorkville xs400h a couple months ago and love it.

4. suasa

suasa Guest

yah my vote goes to yorkville well i guess its not technically a vote but whatever get the xs400h.

5. sitback

sitback Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    I would say go Yorkivlle XS400H as well, I got one a few weeks ago and I love it....:D

6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    For just a few dollars more you could get the GK 700RBIII. More watts and lighter weight than anything else mentioned. Rik's Music sells them for about $520 inc. shipping.

7. The 0x

The 0x Guest

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Not as many features, not as versatile, one tone only, more expensive... :rolleyes:

8. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    A little more expensive yes, but more power, lighter weight, and I have to disagree about only one tone.

9. The 0x

The 0x Guest

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ok, but does yours have a tube preamp, overdrive channel, and a compressor?

Besides, the yorkies only around 25 lbs. Not that bad a haul.

10. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I have a 4 ohm CB-112 cab and use a GK 700RB with it...that's 380 watts and the cab can handle 500. It does really well for my blues gigs...better than I'd expected or hoped for.

The GK is a nicely designed amp...lightweight and loud...mine's in a shallow 2 space rack case that sits nicely on the Avatar cab.

11. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey Tornado.....
    Do you get enough bass and headroom
    with the gk and avatar? Do you guys
    play fairly loud?

12. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    The newer 700RBII is 480 watts @ 4 ohms.

13. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I've played through the Walkabout and it does not have the power of a 700RBII, maybe a 400RB.

14. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I play an Azola BugBass EUB...jump blues and old school blues. On New Years,we played at a medium size restaurant/bar. I had to boost the mids and highs, with the master a bit below noon. I had some PA support but not much. Guitar player at moderate volume with a tweed deluxe style amp. Harp player with something similar. Drummer with full kit.

I kept up easily in that setting. Wouldn't want to try going against a metal band or anything. BTW, the Bug has a strong bassy attack and demands more from an amp than an electric bass like my Jazz. The amp holds up fine in these settings.

OTOH, I have an SWR rig - SM400S and Goliath II cab. That rig has more of everything, but is often too bassy.

15. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey tornadobass ....
    Is that goliath II a 2x10 or a 4x10.
    Thanks, this is very helpful.

16. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    B string...the Goliath II is the section generation SWR 410 cab. They're currently selling the Goliath III. SWR adds on "Jr." for their 210 cabs, as well as a couple of other downsized models.

17. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    ok.. I got it. I've got a goliath II jr.
    I'd like to find a 1x12 to use instead.
    Is the avatar that box? If not, is there a
    1x12 to take the place of my junior?
    I have an old gk 800rb, looking to get a
    1001rbII or used iamp350. Lots 'o' options.

18. I have to agree with SMASH... not only is the WalkAbout loud, it also has a huge tonal range, can be clear & clean or have a great tube grind that many amps can't match. It's also only 13lbs which makes it a perfect lightweight partner for the Avatar CB112.

19. Joebass

Joebass Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    Central NY
    Many thanks for all your suggestions! I did what we all should do when faced with this kind of decision... ask a question oe two on Talkbass and then get out and audition the equpiment!

Hartke 3500- What a hunk of hiss!
    Ampeg B2R- Nice, but you guys hit it right on the Head (no pun intended) "Underpowered".

Lurking in the back of a stack of heads at my local music store was the answer...........

SWR 750! Oh baby what a SWEET sound(s) with the P-bass! Tried it hooked to 2x10,1x12, and 1x10 Cabs.

Took it home for $650.00 Tax included on Saturday (1/4)! Avatar should be dropped in front of the house tonight. Police should be arriving about 1 hour after I strike the first note.

Thanks again to everyone who offered me their advice.

Great to be back in the groove of playing bass and hangin with people who GET IT!

Bass Players!

Joe B

20. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    That SWR should cover just about anything you could get yourself into...let us know when you start adding/upgrading cabs :)