1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which is a better Bass Sound??

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by PSC, May 3, 2010.

1. Bass Sound A

7 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. Bass Sound B

75 vote(s)
    91.5%
  1. PSC

PSC

May 3, 2010
    If you were auditioning a bass player for a band, which bass sound would you prefer (in general).

Bass A or Bass B? :help:

Attached Files:

2. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Will have to check this out later. No sound here at work.

3. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    They're both kinda muffled. It sounds like the low end is boosted and then it's compressed really hard.
    I bet A would sound pretty good within a mix though.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

B, definitely. To me, bass A sounds as if the speaker were covered by a blanket. Not the kind of tone I'm after.

5. A blows.
    B sounds clean and wins ;-)

6. I'm not fond of either, but B is closer to what I'd want.

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Definitely B, but with a touch more of A in it to fill it out. A has little definition though... and is not what I'm after.

8. Biodome

Biodome Guest

Apr 16, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    It depends on what you are playing, obviously, but I voted B. A would definitely fill out a mix, but it sounds like it could be on the muddy end if you like your notes to be heard.

9. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Carrots

(I always wanted to say that)

`Neither struck me as a tone I'd go after. A sounded muddy and a bit distorted. B was too bright. I'd want something in the middle The deepness of A with some of the clarity of B. It also would depend on what you were playing. A lot of slap and pop and I'd definitely go with B Old school R&B and I'd lean towards A if you could clear it up a bit.

My 2 ¢

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    +1 to every bit of that, especially the Carrots part.

11. stinger12345

stinger12345

Jan 24, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    +1. You should have played something more similar to each other in the samples

12. Hated A, didn't like B, was lacking some bottom. I'd go with B if I had to pick one. I can beef up the bottom if I play lighter. Can't fix A. Add some other instruments to mask the highs and it would be even muddier in the final mix.

Randy

13. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    A=mud.......sounded like mic'd cab with a poor mic and or bad placement and bad EQ
    B=much better....sounded direct

listened to on my Event studio monitors
    Even though many mentioned they thought B lacked bottom, when you put it in a mix with other instruments it will not sound as bright as you think and will sit well in a mix.
    B was rumbling my monitors just fine.

14. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    +1

and for future reference why not do the same song on both tests to you can go apples to apples? I mean come on how does my E string sound compared to my D string?

15. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    B by a thousand mile.

A sounds like a LPF + the bass boosted , or if it was EQ'd for an amp or reference that has absolutly no low end.

B sounds like a DI.
    (Your lowest string sounds dead)

16. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I'm the opposite of most here I think.

If I had to choose, I'd choose A. I like that kind of farty, burpy, fat sound in the mix, but A still needed a ton of work on the tone. It was too muddy, and lacked some note definition. It sounded like it was clipping in spots too.

I hated B. It was super thin and glassy, and way too scooped. I think you'd be lost on the first downbeat of the song with that tone.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    +1

Although neither sound that great considering the quality :meh:

18. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    IME , it's the total opposite. The B has some mid/high mids to help cut through a mix. The big smilly curve EQ doesn't cut through because of the lack of mids. ( well in that case it's not a smile , it's a "\" )
    But who am I to say so ? :D

19. +1. My computer system has a sub, and B had plenty of low end. “A” would be fine for recording, especially if that particular sound worked for a particular song, but it would suck in a live situation.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Pedulla Club #45

20. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    I didn't like either, but it's all about how the bass fits in the mix to me. What sounds like good tone by itself is totally different with what sounds good with the band.