Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which laptop for mbox2?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jnightmare, Feb 21, 2006.

1. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    hi there, well im studying in japan for a whole year starting in the fall and i plan on bringing my bass. i also decided i wanted to learn to record and mess around with mixing music and stuff so i decided to get an mbox2 and im of course getting a laptop before i go as well.

question is any laptop recommendations out there? im going to go for a PC based laptop because im more comfortable with that format and im also going to be using the laptop for school purposes and maybe i might even use it for gaming as well.

also i plan on getting an external hard drive since i heard its good to dedicate a hard drive to recording purposes so does anyone know a good portable external hard drive that is very slim and light weight?

2. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
  3. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    thanks. does anyone recommend a good lightweight and portable external hard drive?

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
  5. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    any specific model you've tried or recommend?

6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I have spec'd out a few T-40's for general use and they have been really reliable. I don't know what the current line looks like, soory. Look for a model with a 7200 rpm built in drive and PCMCIA (PC-CARD) expansion. You can get a good FW400 card pretty cheep.

The PPA drives aren't cheap, but they make a high performance unit that is bus powered so you don't need yet another wall wart.

Good Luck

7. Get a Dell. I got a 6000m one year ago and it does fine. Comes with a firewire port and 5400rpm standard harddrive, optional 7200.
    Any of the Dells that are not the base models with a Pent M chip will do. USB 2.0 drives are good. The dell has 4 USBs.
    You can search around all you want, but I think you'll fine the Dell just offers the best for $$s,

8. Whacked

Whacked

Sep 21, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    check out the chipset before buying the laptop.
    the MBox 2 isnt compatable with a few of them. All noted on Digidesign's website

9. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    thanks for all the feedback on the laptop question. i viewed digidesign's site and i'll just have to check out laptops myself that can run mbox2 and that can perform all the other tasks i want it to.

but im still looking for recommendations on good portable, light weight and reliable external hard drives.

10. Well, I'd suggest http://www.otherworldcomputing.com, it's a mac site, but they have good pricing on external hard drives with the oxford 911 chipset, which afaik, is still a requirement for the "full" digidesign compatibility, however, I've got no idea if that's really pertinent. Honestly, I just ordered a macbook pro for about 2500 bucks with a student discount, and even though I'm going to have to wait till may to get an mbox2 running, I'd recommend a mac. I know you said that you'd prefer a peecee, and i'm not trying to dissuade you too much, but I've heard nothing but good things about their ibooks, and their like 1000 bucks. You'd definitely want to max out the ram, check the above site for ram pricing, and an external hard drive is a must, definitely use the firewire on that series of ibook if your interested. My friend has been running his digi002 for the last 1.5 years on an older g4 powerbook, and I've never seen one error on it, ever. Hours and hours of recording and not one problem computer/mixer side. Good travels.

11. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    im actually curious about the new ibooks with the intel chips. the ibook would be able to run PC based programs now too right? because while aboard i might use like microsoft office or even use it for some gaming while out there. if its capable of doing that as well i might consider going with the new ibooks. I need a PC thats goning to be capable for me to do school work, game, and record music.

12. Honestly, no, the intel Ibooks won't be able to run any windows software out of the box that hasn't already been ported to OSX, and I'd be speculating to say that the darwine projects, wine, crossover office, or transgaming's cedega products will allow you to use windows native software. It is highly probable that there will be excellent, almost native, performance from software emulators, but I"m purely speculating. Microsoft just made an official announcement on march 10th that windows Vista will never support efi, the boot system that the new intel macs and other cutting edge systems use, on a 32 bit processor, which is the intel processor in the new macs. WinXP is a complete no-go at this point. Win2003 server supposedly supports efi booting, but I have no experience with it. I'm planning on no windows other than through emulation on my mac laptop ever. That doesn't mean dual booting is out of the question, but some very smart folks are going to have to fiddle around with the parts and see what they can make work. I personally will be able to get by with protools running, as soon as it gets released in may or so, along with a pile of unix/linux compatible open source applications, and a few commercial app's I can't live without. I'm going to give you a link to a small, portable laptop windows, with a decent graphic's chipset, and some other good features. It's a 3880 sager laptop, sold on http://www.pctorque.com, it's got a game capable graphics processor, and decent enough parts to be a replacement for a desktop, but small and light enough to work as a laptop should, not like some giant 1 hour battery life dell or alienware beast. Sager is the company that builds alienware's uber laptops, check it out. It's about 1300 bucks, but the parts are decent enough, and you can modify a few things here and there. You'll need to make sure that the intel chipset on the motherboard is digidesign compatible, and I think it is, but verify that first and formost if your planning on buying and mbox2, no matter which laptop you choose. If you want to have maximum game compatibility, I wouldn't choose an Apple, I only play world of warcraft, and will probably get a few other games, like UT2k4, Quake4, Call Of Duty 2, ect, and will use the laptop for scientific and math open source software, unix networking applications, word processing, compiling software, and a few other tasks. Another issue I am going to make an assumption about is that because of the similar architectures between peecee's and mac's now, there should be more software we'll start seeing for macs. In theory anyways, course, I had hoped the same thing for linux, but mac's probably have a larger desktop user base than linux, whereas linux machine statistics are probably more servers. Everyone knows the money for software is in development for the masses of regular users and not specialty markets, i.e. server applications. When/if emulation is available for games, i'll start checking it out, but i'm definitely not crossing my fingers. If you are still interested in the intel based ibooks, if they are going to come out soon, they should be announced at the beginning of april fyi. The current ppc ibooks are a great deal, and are completely compatible with protools/mbox2 right now. Good luck. One last thing, http://www.notebookreview.com lists a pile of forums with information about different laptops posted by all sorts of experts to crackpots, kinda like talkbass. Read up on the model your considering to ensure maximum enjoyment, don't be a blind consumer.

13. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    thanks for all the info. now that i think on it more i don't think ill ever go mac. im just to use to PC. and i also hate how macs only have 1 mouse button.

14. You can buy mice that aren't made by apple fyi, I'm going to use this nice Microsoft Mouse, as it's a damn fine optical mouse.

15. They can now boot winxp, though the driver support sucks at the moment. Biggest problems right now are the lack of 3d support and instability. I'm not going to speculate any more, someone apparently worked some magic and made things happen. Maybe in the next few months, you'll be able to boot to windows to run win software, and mac for everything else, i'm not going to tamper with my new pristing mac when it gets here until windows runs as flawlessly as possible.