1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which mic to use?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by EADG mx, May 14, 2006.

1. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    I dont know what mic I should use to mic a 1x15 for home recording. Does it really matter? I have heard somewhere that a bass drum mic is a good choice since they have similar frequency range, but I don't know if it's true or not.

Name any, I work at a sound store which has tons of mics, Shure, Apex, you name it.

2. Sure, a bass drum mic would work fine. Shure Beta 52, AKG D112, RE-20, etc etc. Even a simple SM57 can work out ok if you find the right position.

3. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Audio-Technica AE2500 should do the trick (I have one, but haven't recorded a bass cab with it yet). I've heard good things about the Audix D6. AKG D-112 should be worth a try, as mentioned above. Check the SPL level that the mic is rated for and don't go above that, to avoid damaging the mic.

4. rebelbass

rebelbass

Feb 16, 2006
    New Jersey
    I used to do live sound;I've used lots of mics on bass guitar. Unless your tuning really,really low most mics will work O.K. You can check the specs sheet to see if the mic will go low enough. Placement is very important:sometimes a great kick mic won't give you enough highs to make the bass clear.Probably the best thing to do is to run the bass thru a D.I. There are some really cheep ones (passive & active). Mic'ing a cabinet great for effect/fill in but a good direct box will give the bass a nice,full sound you can then adjust eq/limiter/etc. to get a good/great tone.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've had real good results with a Beta 57A.

6. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    I am running a DI from my amp's line out, I want to try a DI and mic at the same time though.

7. Conversely, you could use two different mics. I've had great results blending a kick mic with a 57 (or similar) for presence. It's a good way to go if you prefer the sound of a mic'd cab over a DI, yet still want to have good HF presence.

8. Both the mics that I own are 'technically' vocal mics but i've found them both to be fine for recording. Positioning wise, I found off axis to be best.
    Mics are: Sennheiser E818 and Beyerdynamic TG-X48

9. A AKG D112 works well. If you don't want to spend $ 200 on a new one there are other options. Check out Shure.

10. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    i just used a SHURE SM-7 today and it sounded great. i also ran through a direct box at the same time and mixed the two. i used more of the mic recording than the di. i used a nemesis nc-410 and placed the mic about 3 inches from the center of one of the cones.