1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Octave has the BEST tracking?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SpankyPants, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Ampeg Sub Oct

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. EBS OctaBass

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. Foxrox Octron

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Other (Please specify)

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  1. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm looking for whatever sub-octave pedal has the best tracking. I don't usually play very fast, but I often use 2 or 3 finger chords. I don't think that I'm a very sloppy player, so I think I might be able to squeeze out some octaved-chords... if I have good tracking.

On a side note: The POG is out of the question ($$$$$$$$$). And while the BSW tracks decently well, I couldn't manage to get anything more than a single note.

2. That's because it's monophonic, meaning it can only process one note at a time. A good lot of octaves are like this...sorry

3. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    So what about the Boss OC-3 in Poly mode?

Also, the OctaBass is advertised, boasting 2-3 note chord capability. Is this just hype, or am I just hoping for too much?

4. For best tracking, I prefer the more popular one.

5. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    You're killing me, here. ;-D

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Modelers like Roland V-bass with a separate pickup per string, offers the best multi-string tracking. Each string is processed separately.

7. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    The EHX POG has the best I've ever used.

8. If you're going to want to use 2-3 note chords with your octaver you'd be better off just saving up for the POG.

9. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Actually I found the tracking on the newer Boss OC-3 to be pretty nice in the poly mode. I already stated the POG was king, but if I had to get another one I'd go for an OC-3 (I actually have one, but I'm selling it to my buddy because he could get more use of it)

10. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    POG.

but i've heard good things about the ampeg... don't know if it can manage double- and triple- stops as well as the POG, though.

i know someone on here uses one... not sure who...

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah - I'll probably hang-on to mine til I get a POG too.

It's not really like true 'chord-poly' or whatever - I don't care for the sound of it for actual double-stops, and it will glitch a little on doubles - but the real advantage of the 'poly' in this case is that for any-amount of sloppliy-played single notes, it won't glitch at all; essentially perfect tracking.

Joe

12. I must have had a bad OC3 because I found the tracking awful. I keep reading raves about it on this forum though. Maybe I had a lemon? Mine was more usefull as a paper weight than an effect.

13. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i find that the oc3 tracks pretty well in poly mode... but not as well as the POG. that thing is just awesome.

14. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I remembered this quote from a long time ago, and I think I'm gonna get the Ampeg on a trial basis at first.

It looks like cosmicevan and I are looking for similar pedals, so I'm gonna go on his word on this one(for up to 30 days, that is) ;-D

15. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    The Ampeg is pretty amazing sounding.

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Just as a side consideration, there are a lot of rackmount harmonizers out there, designed for vocalists mostly, and it is worth seeing if any of your local shops have a used one to try out. Also, don't forget the dbx 120A, definitely worth a try, and GC and other big shops usually have one on hand in the PA/DJ room.

17. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Bongo, no matter what my question seems to be, I always feel like you offer a viable and ingenuitive solution that no one else even considers. I, myself, would never have thought of that.

As for now, I'm leaning towards Ampeg, but I will definitely try out some vocal/rackmount units too.

You should consider changing your handle to Mr. Reliable.

18. +1 Amen to that. Bongo you are the man.

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [​IMG]

20. Get a 12 string bass! no tracking problems, just human error.