Which of These Stingrays Would You Recommend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Roger W, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Old Smoothie

35 vote(s)
    25.2%
  2. Stingray Special 4HH

60 vote(s)
    43.2%
  3. Tim Commerford Passive Long Scale

20 vote(s)
    14.4%
  4. I hate Stingrays

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Carrots

18 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. Roger W

Roger W Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Baltimore USA
    Seems I'm going to have to make a lifestyle change. The good news is that, in addition to potential health benefits, I'll be saving up to $300/month. Maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more. Doesn't take an arithmetical genius to figure out that's in the neighborhood of $3000/year. Which brings us to which Stingray would you recommend? I really like my Sterling Ray34 HH, but why not step up? The choices, in order of expense, are an Old Smoothie, a Stingray Special 4HH in Raspberry Burst, or the new Tim Commerford long scale passive model. The reason I chose the Raspberry Burst from all the Stingray Specials available is it's one of the least objectional colors to me and the ebony fretboard.

I know some of you hate Stingrays, but I already have a great Jazz and it was hard enough to find that one.

jd56hawk and lowdownthump like this.
  2. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    I would go with Special or Old Smoothie or Classic. Whatever you get I would suggest just getting the single H pickup . Like you said ….. you already have a good Jazz.

the baint, kentiki, bobba66 and 6 others like this.
  3. Roger W

Jul 10, 2019
    Baltimore USA
    Thanks! The Ol' Smoothie matches my esthetic - essentially 1951 Telecaster. But I like the neck heel on the Specials. And the Classics seem hard to find right now. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  4. Although you’ll notice a step up in quality with the Stingray Special 4HH over the Ray 34 HH, the Ray 34 will cover the same sort of tones as the Special.

In which case you may find the others interesting. I voted TC passive long scale but you’ll find the others equally interesting.

The 4HH Special is definitely the most versatile (and the bridge H gives you the normal Stingray sound).

You may wish to consider also a Stingray Classic which you may find used (possibly more frequently than an Old Smoothie).

Staccato and Roger W like this.
  5. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Pre EB or Classic, it's weird that both of them are not in the poll, so it's carrots for me !

Roger W, lovechick and kerrycares like this.
  6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

I voted "Carrots", but I always vote the straight Carrots ticket, anyway...;) That aside; personally, I'd have to say "Stingray Special 4HH". I've wanted a 4HH since they were first made; problem was, I'm a lefty - and they never were. Until last year. 10 minutes after I heard they were making lefty 4 HHs, I was on the phone to the factory, ordering one. And... oooh, is it ever nice.:thumbsup::thumbsup: The Stingray H has pretty much always been available, if I wanted one; but... most of the things it's really good at, I have no use for. And, those things that I do have a use for? I have basses that do those things just as well - or better... As for the other EBMM basses that people have mentioned? There are no leftys; and I don't remember ever even seeing right handed ones. So, I can't really comment on them...:whistle:

Roger W likes this.
  7. Roger W

Jul 10, 2019
    Baltimore USA
    On my Ray34 HH I like switch positions 1, 3, and 5. No real use for 2 and 4. It's great that they finally built something for the left-handed market. I'm a rightie, but both my father and my mother-in-law were lefties.

Actually there's an Ol' Smoothie available at Wildwood Guitars for less than a Special HH, but no Classics. I'm extremely tempted by the TC.

Yeah, the pre-EBs are going for $4000 and up on Reverb. too rich for me. Haven't seen a Classic for sale anywhere.

8. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    If you actually use the neckside H, an HH makes sense.

I voted passive because the only active-pre basses I actually have a measurable amount of want for are Wal, A-C, and in a distant third Sadowsky.

quitting cigarettes or cars?

Roger W likes this.
  9. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    I prefer the sound of single pickup Music Man basses. But I also gravitate towards a Sterling. Smaller, lighter, and faster.

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    HH is a happy place for all. Active, the preamp is a big part of the thingy. Go get it. The Smoothie might not be what you’re expecting, listen to some demos or go play one. They have a more traditional tone, less of a Ray tone. But still very nice basses.

Roger W likes this.
  11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    They make great basses, no doubt, but this is the only one I can see myself playing.
    iqymavcn8wjs4yinm8tt.jpg

12. bmusic

bmusic

Oct 22, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I’d go Old Smoothie, since you already have an HH Ray. I prefer passive instruments, but I don’t see the point of a passive Ray (the TC).

bobba66, Roger W and JLY like this.
  13. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I have an HH Special. I really like the neck pickup, it a monster of a sound, it's so deep. Everything great on it, except I have trouble slapping and popping because of where the neck pickup is. But the bass itself is a tone monster.

Roger W likes this.
  14. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Barrackville WV
    I'm a SR5 player and I prefer the classic single H design to the HH and even the HS.

15. Greg75

Greg75 Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Texas
    Roger W, lowdownthump and Briton like this.
  16. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I'd pick the raspberry HH special if I were "you." If it were me buying it, for me, I'd get the stingray.

Roger W likes this.
  17. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    The shame... old smoothie isn't available anymore in Butterscotch... new colors are "Coming soon".

I'm an HH fan... but since you already have one...

Roger W likes this.
  18. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    How could single pickup sound different? Bridge pickup location is identical for both.

N4860 and FRoss6788 like this.
  19. ComeHomeShane

ComeHomeShane Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Southern California
    My two cents...

The Special 4H sounds better than the HH with the bridge pick up solo'd. I've never desired a second H with either of my Specials and I've had the 4H a few years now.
    6A3D83A2-6131-4765-B14E-2ABF3183CDB2.jpeg

20. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    I just gotta Ray4 (I know, somewhat off topic) and wanna mention, its sounds like poopoopeedoo with dirt pedals.

Pretty good with envelopes, tho', and really good like Eric Carmen.*

*All by itself.