Which one should I get? GK 700RB or Orange OB1 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dmadmadma, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Dmadmadma

Dmadmadma

Mar 4, 2020
    I recently returned a Randall RBA 500 ES because it wasn't loud enough and I'm planning to sell my Peavey Mark VIII, so I don't have to deal with it's moodyness anymore. So I was thinking which one of those should I get, the Orange or the GK?

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    Tough choice. The GK is loud, clear and fast. Can get thick without breaking up. Very musical and sensitive to changes in your playing. The Orange is more rock IMO. It's designed so you can get grindy without losing depth. I've owned the GK but only read a lot about the Orange. For certain the GK is one of the most durable amps ever, which is why they keep making them I imagine (people keep buying them). The Orange model is fairly new, but not that new so you should be able to gauge reliability by searching for reviews. Both manufacturers have a reputation for quality so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. Basically I would say if you're gonna play nasty sounding stuff and you don't want to use a pedal, the Orange is more suitable. If that's not much of a concern or you have the pedals already, you can't go wrong with the GK. Some people like more power but it really gets crazy loud without breaking up so whatever.

3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
  4. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    The 700rb ii is my favorite amp. It's as grindy or clean as you want it to be. Honest if not modest power rating. Truly the most reliable amp I have ever used. No input on the orange though.

SwitchGear likes this.
  5. Dmadmadma

Dmadmadma

Mar 4, 2020
    Thanks for your reply. It definitely helped. Dirt ist definitely a thing for me but I also care a lot about clean sound. I also found a(n older) GK for 200€ less than the Orange, and I already own a couple of dirt pedals. Also, although I do appreciate the simplicity of the Orange, I feel more in control of my sound with the tone shaping knobs, fx loop and even having a separate gain and volume control. So I think I’ll go for the GK.

jeff7bass likes this.
  6. Dmadmadma

Dmadmadma

Mar 4, 2020
    the one I found near me for the least money is the MK1, which has 380 Watt, not 480 Watt as the MK2, which I've found for 200€ more. Do you think the 100 Watt would make much of a difference? I mean, I do like to have clean reserves but are 100 Watt worth the 200€?

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    You are unlikely to hear a difference between 380 and 480. Cone area will matter more.

SwitchGear and FRoss6788 like this.
  8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    I had the 380W in the 700RB/115 combo and it was plenty for smaller gigs. I added a cab for larger gigs and never pushed it past half. Usually just less than half got the sound guys angry with me. If you can afford the extra money, I would get the newer model though.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022