1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which pickup should I choose?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by N0_Frets, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Dimarzio Split P

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Quarter-Pounder

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. N0_Frets

N0_Frets

Feb 26, 2008
    So, I'm new-ish around here, this is my second post, anyhow I've been looking at some pickups and preamps (on board) for one of my basses. It's a pretty standard starter bass, Washburn Lyon, 4-string, one tone and volume control, single split P style pickup; and it's the first bass I bought, and learn most everything on. I've more or less narrowed it down to either a DiMarzio (DP 127) Split P pickup, or a Basslines Quarter-Pound pickup. I've read some reviews and some specs, and I just can't seem to decide, but I especially like the prices I've seen on the Quarter-Pound. I know what kind of style I play may be useful to the decision, and to anyone who has advice; and I play lots of punk and metal. As for preamps, I'm pretty lost, I don't know what brands to look in to, or too much else, other than what it does. I don't want to pay for something that I could pay less for; or overpay for one preamp and there be better, more affordable one. So if anyone would recommend one of the above pickups, or a better one in the price range (under $90, $100 max), and a good preamp, that'd be great; Thanks.

2. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Hi there N0_Frets,

I can't speak to the DiMarzio P pickups, but I upgraded my Peavey starter bass with the Seymour Duncan Basslines quarter-pounder that you're looking at.

For the classic rock band and the experimental punk band I was in, it was the perfect upgrade to let my beginner bass last until I got my forever-keeper bass together. The tone was thicker and clearer than the stock pickup in the Peavey. The lows were fuller, and the treble was nice for cutting in a punk (and I would assume metal) setting.

I'd recommend changing out the pickup first, then evaluating how much you still want that preamp. No sense in spending money on a new preamp if the tone improvements you want can be achieved with a pickup change only.

Hope this helped!

3. N0_Frets

N0_Frets

Feb 26, 2008
    I added a Poll.

4. Ive got a DiMarzio Model P and Model J in one of my basses. Really punchy and aggressive sounding pickup. Works well for punk and metal :)