1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jbluesbass91, Jan 25, 2012.

1. jbluesbass91

jbluesbass91

Jul 29, 2011
    Midwest
    Reverend Guitars Artist
    Eden D410XST (used) with Eden WT800 (used)

Ampeg 810AV with SVT-VR (brand new)

Here's my problem. I'm 16, touring with blues bands when I'm not in school, and a freelance bassist in my area. I need a new rig since all I have is an older Peavey TNT 115S combo. The blues bands are in favor of the big ampeg since most of the bands have had bass players in the past with big Sunn 215cabinets and Ampeg 810s. I think the Ampeg has a great tone but my parents and touring musicians who play Eden say Ampeg is way too heavy for the road and often overkill. I would like to get both rigs at some point (one for small venues and one for large) but my budget is roughly 3600 dollars. Should I get the big rig and then save my money to get the Eden or vice versa?

2. worshiprocker

worshiprocker Tonepump Junkie

Aug 12, 2011
    Mesa, Arizona
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    maybe get two ampeg 410 enclosures and use one for the smaller gigs and 2 for the bigger gigs

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Exactly. You could go for the Eden 410xlt cabs too - two of them.

If you go for different head, you can always run half the 810 for smaller shows. The SVT VR - I do not think handles 8 ohm loads.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not gonna lie...the SVT-VR rig ain't light. But there is no finer bass sound on earth than when you plug into one. This is not just my opinion, but a proven fact ;) It's why it still sells very well in a world of 4 lb micro amps and it's why many folks insist on lugging one around despite its weight. And the bands you want to play with are all in favor of it and will look upon you more favorably when they need a bassist, so I see it as a no-brainer.

However, if you decide to go smaller and lighter, I might recommend taking a look at the SVT 7 Pro for a head. It gets closer to the all-tube SVT vibe than any other hybrid or solid state amp I've played. Just my opinion, but I do own a 69 SVT so I have a little basis of comparison. But hey, you're young, you're in demand, you've got the money and an able body I assume...just lift with your legs and not your back and you'll be fine.

5. worshiprocker

worshiprocker Tonepump Junkie

Aug 12, 2011
    Mesa, Arizona
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

I always enjoy your comments Jimmy

Jimmy also brings up a good point... just carry it around, plus the other members of the band and potential bands will take you seriously for having that gear... If you don't like it, sell it... those fridges sell easily :)

6. Sykk Reaper

Sykk Reaper

Nov 17, 2011
    DeBary, FL
    I think you should pick eden head and use ampeg cabs, sounds like a hell of a mixture to me. As long as you have a car and a dolly to move the cabs you should be fine. you know one of these:http://www.exhibitoronline.com/exhibitormagazine/exhibitorquiz/images/tradeshowquiz/A_large.jpg

7. Sykk Reaper

Sykk Reaper

Nov 17, 2011
    DeBary, FL
    Also he brings up a good point with the Ohms. look at Ohms and wattage when buying these things.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That kind of statement is controversial on here, but there definitely is psychology involved when trying to get gigs. Obviously there are bass players out there who don't use SVT's and have zero problem getting work. If all you have is a cheap bass and a cheap amp but it's enough to get the job done and you can play, then you will get work from someone.

But anyone who says image doesn't matter is wrong. It shouldn't matter, but it does. And if I know I can get a leg up on anyone by having a certain bass or amp, I must say it influences my decisions. Fortunately that never mattered for me because I got a Fender bass and an Ampeg tube rig as soon as I could afford it ;)

9. playswhatpays

playswhatpays

Jan 24, 2012
    Fargo, ND
    +1 Specifically, get 2 pro neo HLF 410's. The frequency response is vastly improved over the cabs you mentioned, they're light, and you get flexibility.

You can go with any head you want, it definitely does not need to match. I'm an Ampeg fan, so I am biased, but the 7pro is an awesome amp. $800 gets you 1000w rms, tube pre, built in compression, digital amp, and is an anemic 15 pounds. If you're like me, lugging around light equipment after a gig is worth something. Get whatever brands you want, but go light and get cabs that can play deep.

You could get the 7pro and 2 410 pro neo's under budget.

10. playswhatpays

playswhatpays

Jan 24, 2012
    Fargo, ND
    Me too, purchased a USA Jazz with gig money when I was 15. 13 years and 500+ gigs later, the paint is coming off in spots, but she still sounds and plays beautiful.

11. Get the VR & 810! As Jimmy said, ain't no better bass sound (imo), you're young, fit.........
    I would.

12. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Hey, if I was 16 and had the opportunity to own a VR and 810....... This is a dream start, grab the big rig and go for it. This is an investment for the rest of your life, you can always buy a smaller (and cheaper) rig later.

13. +1, (or is that +3?) Above, unless you HAVE to have tweeters

14. Most of us oldtimers have carried around the Ampeg 810 cabs. They are big and heavy, but put out great sounds. I do think some of the new gear will put out just as good a sound with less size and weight. With a $3600 budget I'd certainly shop arond a bit before jumping into something. I don't think any musicians will be disappointed if you show up with Genz Benz, Eden, SWR, GK, or any of the other brands who make great bass rigs.

15. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    ditto

Get the killer rig now, you can always get something smaller later.

16. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    The best sounding rig I ever heard anybody play with was an SVT through an Ampeg 810. (so that's my vote :D) And that was a Blues band at a fairly small club.

However, with that budget, I personally would probably spend it on an original Blueline, instead of a VR, for the amp. Or, I might even consider a vintage V-4 or V-4B. And an original 810 flatback. Most Blues gigs seem to be at small to medium-sized venues and I think a V-4(B) through an 810 would be plenty loud for those sized rooms. And, with the lower power, let you get a little more of the nice tubey breakup, if you want it. I guess that depends more on what type of Blues you're playing. Most Blues gigs I've played (on drums), the bass player was using a 210 combo or 410 cab. A V-4(B) through an 810 should definitely be able to get as loud as any amp through a 210 or 410.

And if you're playing any kind of gig where a V-4(B)/810 setup isn't loud enough, you'll probably have FOH PA support anyway. Put a mic on the 810, run it through FOH, and you'll be ready to rock the Coliseum.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I have enough issues moving an SVT on my own and I'm 21 and lift weights 5 days a week! I'd highly suggest going lighter if you're serious about gigging often. Just because you can go big doesn't mean you should. My Markbass LMIII is quickly becoming my go to gig amp because of how cumbersome the SVT is to move around.

18. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Apr 19, 2011
    Metro Atlanta
    I can relate, man. I'm 17 and finally started playing out pretty often. My rigto is am Ampeg 810e cab, and an Ampeg PF500 head. The cab's 4 ohm, so I get the full 500 watts. Its not tube, but its a great light head. The cab...well thats a different story, haha. Sounds ridiculously good (projects like nothing else), but its a pain to haul around. My band has a van we load our gear into, but I end up having to take my own car to fit the cab.

I am however looking into two PF115he cabs (Jimmy advised me to those a couple weeks ago) for the vintage vibe and portability.

I've used my dad's old Ampeg SVT

19. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Apr 19, 2011
    Metro Atlanta
    In the cab and it sounds amazing as well.

My vote's for the Ampeg!

20. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Ampeg.