1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which SX?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic Winters, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I'm in the market for a new 4 string, and I've been reading quite a bit of good things about SX from the people here.

I play mostly rock. Anything from A7X, Dead Poetic, Rage/Audioslave, Foo Fighters, Incubus, STP, Story of the Year, Led Zeppelin, etc.

I'm trying to decide between:

SPJ Ash
    SPJ 62
    SJB 57

Also, concerning the SJB 57, why are they only offering it in yellow? Are they going to stop selling it, or if it's just because they're moving.

2. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have a SPJ-62 and I can go from blues to metal, to Jazz then to R&B wuth soem Eqing. I love it, you can't go wrong with a PJ IMO :p

YMMV

3. I heard all good things about the SX basses. Search Essex megathread. Its up to 45+ post pages. Very useful information. You can get an idea of what everyone is using and has modified. I am waiting for the SX Musicman copy to become available.

4. I heard all good things about the SX basses. Search Essex megathread. Its up to 45+ post pages. Very useful information. You can get an idea of what everyone is using and has modified. I am waiting for the SX Musicman copy to become available.

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    What kind of tone do you prefer? Brighter or more mellow?

The SPJ Ash, being Ash, will sound brighter than the SPJ 62, which is made of Alder. Also, keep in mind that the fretboard affects tone somewhat. Personally, I'd go with the brighter wood, just to get that extra edge. There's always the EQ if you want a more mellow tone.

With SX basses, simply pick the one with the pickup combo you want, the finish you prefer, and the body/neck woods that you prefer regarding tone. Later you can modify the bridge/pickups/electronics to personalize your tone even more.

6. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i have the ash (but a 5-string), and it's awesome, especially for recording.

it's wicked heavy, though.

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Its actually up to 300+ pages...

I had the QMD62, and it was sweet...Although that SPJ62 in Black is looking pretty hot.

Anyways, its basically your call from here on out - I'm sure they'd all work; just fair warning that the Ash one might be heavier

8. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    I've heard the necks can be pretty hit-or-miss on these things. Did anybody need to give their SX a pretty intensive setup (fretwork, etc) when they got theirs? Any dead spots/buzzing issues?

I would be really into the SPJ ash if it had a maple fretboard, black block inlays and a black pickguard. I would even be able to live with the rosewood fretboard, but I just really don't like inlays that aren't centered, it's really out of character for the whole look of the bass.

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I have 2 SPB 62's. Both have great necks w/ better fret ends than many American Fenders. NO dead spots anywhere. One had one fret that was just a tad too high with the action down real low. It was a quick fix and never had any problems with them otherwise. I've gigged extensively with the SX and the things are pretty much bullet proof.

Sounds like the SPJ 62 is the ticket for what you describe. I highly recomend them.

10. Vic Winters

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    On the site it says the SPJ Ash is only 7 lbs. While the SPJ 62 is 8 and the SJB 57 is 9.

No one knows about the SJB 57 limited to yellow?

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    It may just be that they're out of stock at the moment - you could try emailing Kurt to see what they have in store though.

But resupply can often take a while, as its basically up to TEAM in China to send em over (and build em and stuff)

And I'm just giving you a fair warning, because unless they changed the Ash or had a different method of building, I've heard some SX Ash's are up at 11+ pounds...

12. Vic Winters

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I emailed Kurt about the SJB-57 and this was his reply:

Hi
    Yes the other colors are sold out now, but I expect them back in later this spring/summer

Kurt

I'm really curious as to why it would say the SJP Ash only weighs 7 lbs. if it is has been known to be that heavy.

13. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
  14. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I've ordered a SPB 62. Already got new hardware lined up for it.

15. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    Aside from the spj ash which has a jazz pickguard routed for a precision pickup, are the SX p and j bass pickguards generally interchangable with standard aftermarket replacement pickguards (ie the screw holes line up properly)?

16. I'm guessing, but I would bet a few dollars that this is just a web page editing error - cut & paste probably. There may be a few errors on Rondo's site and also some outdated images that may or may not be noted in the text. They try to keep things accurate but they do have a lot of different models coming and going.

Peace,
    S

17. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    No, a few holes may line up but you'll have to make some new holes if you want to use one made for a Fender on it.

18. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    At least mine is around 11 pounds, give or take. Well worth it, though. The tone is superior.

19. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    ehh, the routing isn't too pretty. They route a huge rectangle instead of a pickup-fitting hole, so it won't look good at all without the pickguard. I'd love it if they'd start routing so it would be possible to use only the control plate and no pickguard.

Rear-routed interesting-top bodies with no pickguard/control plate would be great, too.

20. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks. That's what I expected :smug: