1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which tuner?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mldavis, Oct 21, 2013.

1. mldavis

mldavis

Jul 22, 2013
    South Wales, UK
    I'm thinking about getting a floor pedal tuner, but can't decide which one to go for.

The two I've narrowed it down to are the Boss TU-3 and the Korg Pitchblack.

The Pitchblack looks pretty good with good reviews and is cheaper, but are there any other tuners out there worth me looking at?

Thanks

Martin

2. shastaband

shastaband Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Another vote for the turbo-tuner. Since I bought mine, I leave the pitchblack at home. The turbo-tuner is better!

3. Skindie

Skindie

Oct 20, 2013
    Got to be the tc electronics polytune 2

4. Babaghanoush

Babaghanoush

Jan 21, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    +1
    I use it daily and it's much more accurate than any other tuner that I have used.

5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    $19.99 will get you a Snark which just clips on your headstock. It's cheap, durable and just as accurate as the Boss tuner. It picks up my low B on my 5 string just fine. That and I can tune when I'm not even plugged in to anything.

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If you're looking for something good and a bit less money, the Snark SN-10 is a good choice. Around $40. It has a big display so it's easy to read on the floor. they say it had true bypass. A good unit.

7. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Between the two you listed definitely the Pitchblack. it's a good tuner...
    and much easier to see in daylight too. I sold my Boss tuner after getting the Pitchblack.
    First time I used it I knew I'd never use the Boss again.

8. Cycho

Cycho

Nov 30, 2010
    Zoom B3. A little pricey but it can do more than just tune you up. :)

9. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Another +1 for the Turbo Tuner. Out of what you listed, I'd pick the Korg.

10. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    TC Electronics Polytune MINI: doubles as a mute switch, tiny footprint and can tune my drop A like a champ

11. I have TU-3 and TC Polytune mini and I prefer the TC.

12. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I'm gonna go ahead and put in a vote for the TU-3. They are accurate enough for anything live and will survive a nuclear bomb.

13. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Floorpedal:

TC Polytune Mini Noir! Small, fast, accurate and way visible in a dark room.

Clipon:

PlanetWaves Microtune. Clips on back of headstock, tiny but large enough display. About $10 each on Amazon. Leave them on all my basses.

Not sure if this is true with all clipons but I have noticed in a noisy environment, like a jam session or when others on stage warming up, that the planet waves doesn't track as well. Makes sense since it works off of string vibrations.

14. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I love my Turbo Tuner! I'd buy another one if something happened to the one I have now. Having said that, it IS expensive, but it's the fastest, most accurate tuner I've personally ever used(I've owned the TU-2 & TU-3-in fact, I have my TU-3 sitting in a box somewhere in the house-and, I've had a chance to use the TC and the Korg).

I certainly don't blame someone for not wanting to spend $130 on a tuner, but I'm telling ya', the Turbo Tuner is worth it...:bassist:

15. I just went ahead and ordered one. My TU-3 died and I've been dicking around with a cheap headstock tuner which seriously let me down Saturday night. Turbo it is.

16. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I have a Pitchblack and am pleased with it. It has a larger and simpler display than Boss which makes it easier to see for me.

17. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    You will be pleased, my friend...;)

18. mldavis

mldavis

Jul 22, 2013
    South Wales, UK
    After reading your posts, it seems I won't go far wrong with the Korg Pitchblack.

Think I'll go for this one then, thanks for your advice all.

Cheers.

19. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    TC Polytuner runs circles around both of them and costs the same/less. Faster tuning, MUCH better display, better build quality. Polytuner or Turbo Tuner are really the only ones worth looking at.