1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which WinISD Version Is Best?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrjim123, Jan 3, 2012.

1. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    I plan to do modeling for a 2x10 cab, and possibly a 1x12 down the road. I read on one download site that WinISD Pro is untested, but I'm not sure how old that warning is.

Should I use Pro, Beta, or some other version?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Don't know where you read that but it has to be really old. WinISD Pro (Alpha, some say alpha, some don't, I think it's the same thing) is the one to use. Much more detailed with things like actual port air velocity rather than pass/fail, max. power graphs, etc. The only thing I wish they carried over from beta that's a bit handy but not really "needed" was the box builder, dimension calculating thing. It saved a step of simple math, that's all. For example, if you need 4 cu.ft. and enter 2 dimensions of your box, it gave you the 3rd one needed to hit your goal, that's all. It still didn't calculate space taken up by ports, drivers, etc.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It would be cool if you could go in and set the programs spec tolerances or something like that. It's always a PITA loading new drivers into the database as it will refuse to accept it if some little spec is one number off 6 places to the right of the decimal point or something meaningless like that but hey, it's free. I usually just enter one or two numbers, just enough to get it to accept it, then edit them all after it's doing a box model.

4. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've been watching this thread because I was curious what anyone else would say. Will33 know what he's doing as far as I can see so I'm glad to find out I've been using what he's recommended.

WinISD Pro isn't closing when asked, I have to go to Task Manager to kill the process.

It will notice that your box volume or tuning have changed and prompt you to save, but if you change the topography (shape, dimensions) of your porting it won't. I'm not sure about signal or the filtering.

But it does so many things right and for absolutely no cost that I still love it.

KO

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Alpha Pro. Beta is not worthless, but almost. If you have W7 get the W7 version. It takes some hunting around to find it. Look at their forum for a link.

You have to set it up to run in an earlier version of Windows.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ya...I can parrot Bill pretty good.:D

7. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I guess I'll try it again. It's cool that it takes many more driver specs into consideration, but as Will said--it's a PITA. One little spec wrong and you're stuck. And I too couldn't get it to close---but I think I was trying the Beta. I'll try again.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Someone (rpsands?) wrote and posted a batch file to close it from your desktop. Works fine. Compatibility Mode did not help in my case, running Win7-64 bit.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Try just entering one number in each field, let the program auto-calculate what it wants to. If you can just get it to accept the driver, go ahead and start a box model with the incomplete specs. You can then click on the little parameters tab in the bottom left corner of the small window that has the box info in it. That will drop down the list of specs for you to see. Double-click on each individual spec to edit it to match the drivers data sheet.

Yeah, it's frustrating to say the least. Sometimes I'll just pull up any oddball driver already in the database and edit it's specs to match whatever I'm trying to model. Gotta be a better way but I'm not all that computer saavy to go about internally changing programs, etc.

10. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Always let it calculate the specs, entering as few as possible. It's more accurate than the manufacturer data sheets, it hangs up when the manufacturer data is wrong.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I think part of it is the program trying to be "too accurate". You can enter data from known to be good datasheets from JBL, Eminence or anybody and it'll kick it back. I assume because something doesn't jive out to the 1/10000 or 1/millionth or whatever. Even identical drivers from the same manufacturing run could vary as much or more than that.

A pop-up window that let you know something wasn't exactly perfect with a "do it anyway" button to click would be cool. Perhaps with the further option of a detailed list so you could see what conflicted with your datasheet and by how much.

12. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Because they don't calculate to as many digits. It's no big deal at all, I haven't had a spec hiccup in years, like anything it's a matter of learning how it works.