1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

White oak henna eub

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by fingerandpick, Jun 26, 2014.

1. fingerandpick

fingerandpick

Jun 12, 2013
    Florida
    I am planning to build a solid body eub out of white oak and use henna to make some traditional Indian patterns out of it (like in the picture). My problem is, that I really love the feel of the raw wood for both the back of the neck and for the fingerboard, but I don't want to ruin the pattern or the wood with finger oils and stuff. I hate the sticky feeling that gloss finishes leave. Any advice is helpful! Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. fingerandpick

fingerandpick

Jun 12, 2013
    Florida
    And by sticky feeling I mean that after playing a lot if your hands get sweaty then a gloss finish just feels sticky and slow compared to like a sanded satiny finish

3. Fingerboard should probably be made with ebony or rosewood instead anyway.

4. fingerandpick

fingerandpick

Jun 12, 2013
    Florida
    Why? I love the look of the white oak and the fact that I can pick it up at lowes and the fact that it is plenty hard and sturdy. I just want to know about a finish

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    A satin/matte finish maybe?

6. fingerandpick

fingerandpick

Jun 12, 2013
    Florida
    But would that be a laquer? Or a polyurethane, or an oil finish? This will be my first ever build of any kind and i only own electric bass guitars too. Thanks!

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    OP, check out this chart. http://tinytimbers.com/pdf/chart_janka.pdf

White oak may not be suitable for a fingerboard as it may be too soft.

8. fingerandpick

fingerandpick

Jun 12, 2013
    Florida
    Hmm interesting, I may go for hard maple instead then because I've seen it used as a fingerboard a lot (usually ebonized) and I do want a white woos