Who can build a six string (semi-)hollow shortie?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptRigaud, Sep 29, 2020.

1. CaptRigaud

CaptRigaud

Oct 3, 2019
    EU
    Hello friends,

Not sure if this is the right forum but we will see.

I am looking for a semi-hollow sixer with a 30" scale. The only option for this is either a custom job or a Frankenstein mod that involves custom building.

I have been digging through many a thread searching for local builders, and folks that've built semi-hollow sixers. For my uses and budget (what a tough time to be a gigging musician..) I found that Marusczyck can build me a Joker model close to my ideal specs, I have good experience with a previous build. However I would definitely prefer something more simple and 'classic' in tone and looks.

I play two 5 string basses with those specs (so, yes, I am aware of the limitations of extended range short scale basses), and I am really invested in an alternate tuning that works fantastic for me but I physically can't do the chordal and counterpoint things I like on a longer scale. 6er is going to open up a lot of creative possibilities.

Any ideas? All suggestions are appreciated.

lowendrachel likes this.
  2. Keith Guitars

Keith Guitars Commercial User

Aug 25, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Builder: Martin Keith Guitars
    I can make something like that. @emjazz has a semi-hollow 6" I made with a 32" scale.
    PM if you'd like more details.

CaptRigaud, nonohmic, design and 4 others like this.
  3. I browsed his profile and didn't see any pics. Can you share?

CaptRigaud likes this.
  4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Martin Keith built me my dream bass. Period. If you go to my Instagram page (in my signature) there are some videos. I have it strung with flatwounds. I really can't suggest anyone other than Martin. Best builder and human around. Mine is actually a 33" scale, but I know he has built shorter scales.
    Screenshot_20200929-220738_Instagram.jpg

raphaeld, bholder, Ferniff and 10 others like this.
  5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Also, Martin's basses are completely custom. Tell him the sound you want and he'll get it. You can get different finishes if you'd like as well. My friend Jochem @fishdreams has one that is less deep with two G&L pickups for a more "electric with air" sound, and it's a gorgeous blue color.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
  7. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Not to pile on, but this is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for in my next bass, and I hope to order from Martin. I do a lot of chording on my 6 tuned E-F, and I'd like that in a more open semihollow.

Regardless of who you go with, I'd like to hear how it's designed and what the result is.

8. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    You mention Maruscyzyk but did you check the Mensinger Cazpar? I’ve been designing and dreaming of a 30” 5 or 6 string hollowbody fretless with 16mm spacing on their configurator for a few months now.

9. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
  10. Freddy T

Freddy T

Mar 15, 2014
    Try Nino Valenti, @Nino Valenti . I know he does sixers and hollow bodies; not sure about 30" scale, but probably. I have a 33" fiver solid that's great. Check out this sample:

Valenti #152: hollow JJ5

CaptRigaud and smperry like this.
  11. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Your request and the bass being shown by Martin Keith makes me want to show the custom bass uke I ordered a couple of months ago from my luthier in Vietnam, Bruce Wei Arts on eBay, who's made me ukuleles and a bass uke. I saw his design of a tenor carved archtop uke and asked if he could make it in a 23" scale bass, below is the mockup I made for him. It's almost ready. I'm also going to use steel flatwounds.

BWA Custom carved frt-bck.jpg

12. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Geez guys, those are some gorgeous basses

kohanmike likes this.
  13. It’s not what you meant, but my six string semi-hollow short scale bass is a Danelectro baritone tuned down to E. It’s a lot of fun within its limitations, which are many. I can see exactly why you would want something like that, but actually good.

IronSpatula and CaptRigaud like this.
  14. lowendrachel

lowendrachel

Sep 11, 2012
    GTA, Ontario
    Menzinger. I think that's how you spell it. Good luck!

15. I was going to say just this. Every once in a while I see their Canadian distributor put up a 30" scale 6 string up for sale and drool a little!

CaptRigaud and nFinnyD like this.
  16. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    what is upper fret access like on that bass? i check the website and they seem to have a giant neck block that starts pretty high up...

17. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    30" scale semi-hollow 6-string...you should be able to order a Linc Luthier Danger Bass that will tick off all those boxes.

18. fishdreams

fishdreams Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification and and Martin Keith Guitars
    Its a brilliant bass

Attached Files:

nFinnyD and emjazz like this.
  19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have 26 frets. No issue with access at all. No giant neck block. It's really beautifully done.

20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Jochem, with the blue Martin Keith, has a Linc Luthier 6 string. They are chambered basses that are warm sounding versions of an electric bass. Not a true semi hollow instrument.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021