Who fell into bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jnuts1, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Bass is my only true love

42.5%
  2. started on guitar and then fell in love with bass

47.4%
  3. started on guitar and then was forced into bass by guitarists

10.1%
  1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I played violin before bass, that’s where I learned to read and began the theory journey. But chose to play bass so I would not say I fell into it. Now I play guitar and bass but really consider myself a bassist. I did somewhat fall into guitar. I felt better about writing with a guitar than with a piano. Now I can play guitar but I still play “at” piano.

2. Craig Orndorff

Craig Orndorff Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2021
    My story isn’t clear cut enough for the poll. Some buddies and I in middle school wanted to get into music. My buddy who wanted to play guitar initially pushed me for the bass, being that I’m a huge guy, but my parents wouldn’t let me do bass, saying that guitar was better because it worked on its own to entertain as a solo instrument. I got the typical Strat and everything. Got pretty into it, took some lessons, but same buddy got a friend to loan me an old bass. I piddled with it throughout high school but kinda gave up because at that point there was a hotshot bassist around. Played guitar some in college, got Hodgkin’s lymphoma and got more into it to keep me sane. At some point as a young adult I decided to try again. But the guitar hung around. Joined the Praise Team at my church on bass but hoped I could eventually do guitar. During the pandemic I invested heavily in what I figured was my “forever” guitar equipment. But recently, the school I work at put a faculty band together. After listening to the song picked (The Lazy Song) I insisted it needed bass. Over the course of the last few weeks I fell completely head over heels, amazed that I could learn a complete song.

I’m selling all but my acoustic (figured In-laws would want that around the holidays) and am not looking back.

I repent of my trebly, guitar ways and hand over my life to the God of the Low End.

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  3. coy garcia

coy garcia

Jan 18, 2020
    Was a horn player as a kid...heard my first rush album at 13. When it came time to go from renting a trumpet to buying one... I choose a bass instead.

McG likes this.
  4. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Started playing folk guitar in the 60's. then pop and classical. Told my teacher I want to be in a band, and he told me to play bass - that good bass players were always needed. SO - I rented a horrible Eko bass and amp and he gave me one bass lesson and introduced me to another student with a band that needed a bass player. There was so much music going on then, it was hard NOT to be in a band. I bought a Hagstrom bass (P basses were nearly $200!), a Beatle amp, built a 2x15 cab, and I was a professional bass player!! Played ALL THE TIME in so many bands and even ended up touring the USA. AND - here we are! Can't imagine not playing bass.

McG and kohanmike like this.
  5. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again...

I ended up playing bass because my band got tired of me firing the bass player.

EddiePlaysBass and kohanmike like this.
  6. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    100% bass player, always. Since I first discovered music, I knew I was going to be the bassist and I still love everything about it. I could count on one hand the number of times I have even touched a six-string guitar in my 49 years on this planet.

7. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    I started on guitar when a friend of my Dad let me play his Gibson Hummingbird. Played for a few years, got into a band with some older guys, got kicked out. Then I started a band with two friends who played guitar. We didn’t need three guitars so I switched to bass. I still play acoustic guitar and mandolin. I get more gigs that way; I’m in three bands right now.

8. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    I was in a jam situation where there were three guitarists (me included) but only two guitars and a bass. I knew both the other guys were way better than me so I grabbed the bass. I played just the roots of this I-VI-II-V progression I learned as a teenager. The drummer was like, wow, that's a smooth line. I've been playing bass since. Postiive reinforcement totally works on me.

EddiePlaysBass and rutabaga bob like this.
  9. This is my story... A band was trying to find a Bass Player and they couldn't, so they called me up and said... Hey, you've been playing Guitar for six years, do you want to learn the Bass? I said why not and went and bought a cheap Bass and practice amp and loved it instantly and never looked back. That was 30 years ago and I'm still loving it. I didn't touch a Guitar again for almost 30 years. Now, I play both, but I play Bass a lot more. Bass feels more comfortable and natural to me. I love how you can lock in with the Drummer, close your eyes and just feel the groove. It takes me to a different place...

kohanmike likes this.
  10. I bought a guitar to punish my Ma.........

11. basslayer

basslayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    I have always played bass. I took guitar for one year in high school and spent most of the time playing bass.

kohanmike likes this.
  12. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    My grandparents gave me an acoustic at 12yrs old , played that for a year then wanted something more and bought an electric, played that for 6 months and then walked into music store and picked up a bass and went "WOW THIS IS FOR ME!"...started playing that at 13 yrs old...NEVER looked back!

kohanmike likes this.
  13. I was a guitarist first, 3-4 years before playing bass. When I stated playing guitar, folk music was all the rage, and I learned how to finger pick. With that technique, you play bass parts picking them with your thumb. Mostly 1–5-1-5. My 6th grade teacher who hade a polka band on the side, heard me play guitar and asked if I could do that 1-5-1-5 on a bass. I told him I could so he hired me for his polka band and the rest is history.

kohanmike likes this.
  14. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I started playing guitar in 1965 when i was 15 with the advent of the British Invasion, as did a number of my friends. I played rhythm guitar for almost 50 years when in 2013 I saw a ukulele for $60 in Musicians Friend magazine that looked like my Fender Telecaster, so I bought just to hang it next to my Tele. About 2 weeks later I received a postcard from The Los Angeles Music Center for the summer play-along series I've attended in the past for guitar, but this one was for ukulele. Since I had one, I decided to join the three 6 hour sessions on Saturdays.

The first session had over 400 attendees, and by the end of that day I was hooked. I looked up and immediately joined a seniors ukulele group and never touched my guitars again (gave my four to my nephew, a very accomplished guitarist and now film composer). About a year later in 2014, the leader of my ukulele group asked if anyone would like to take up the bass to fill in our sound. For all the years I played guitar, I was often told I should play bass because I had good timing and feel, but I didn't want to be encumbered by a big electric bass, forget a standup double bass.

I did a little research and discovered all the bass ukes and mini bass guitars and went for it. Turns out playing bass is right up my ally. I took a few lessons from Denny Croy at McCabe's Guitar Shop, which gave me a good foundation, and for almost 7 years, the bass uke/mini bass has been my main instrument, with ukulele running second (and harmonica third). Note in my signature how many basses I have.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  15. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    I'm so jealous of the early starters. I didn't get a bass until I was already 21 out of school and working full time. I had to lock myself away for 5 years to get decent. I think I would be a monster if I started at 12.

16. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I played the flute since I was a wee herrick. In junior highschool (or perhaps in the very beginning of highschool) I started playing alto sax. When I was 17, I started playing bass on a MIM Fender P. I didn't even think about learning guitar until a few years later.

Those early years of learning to play bass and figuring out how to play my favorite songs really bring back fond memories.

17. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    This sounds like plagiarism.

18. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    How many years in fourth grade were you held back?

19. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Hey I'm in the minority! I'm kind of a multichoice one here though.

Since picking up guitar I had interest in bass as well but it was pretty subdued and it took over 3 years for me to get one. Then another 2 years for me to get my second as I didn't play a whole lot, and finally a year later I got a decent amp. A Fender Bassman 100 for $60.

At this point I'd already done some recording of bass tracks with a friend because I was the one person he knew with a bass. Which led to him eventually asking me to join my current band as a bassist. Which then forced me to put time into it, and get better gear.

Simultaneously life started happening to me and guitar started to become a sort of flash-point for conflict in my life, and probably a bit of trauma. Coming out of a hard situation I had to sell all my gear, but I was in a band so I still needed a bass and a bass amp. I bought a Squier VM Jazz for $300 and a GK MB112 for $400. That was all I used for over a year and this is when I truly became a bassist.

I didn't have money and I spent almost every day for a year and a half alone with nothing but my bass and computer. My only breaks from solitude being nature walks with my dog and jamming with the band. So as you can imagine this time completely reformed me (musically) and made me a bassist.

There was always a spark there but it took guitarists and non-musicians alike to force me into focusing all my musical energy and love into it. And now I try to play bass every day but drums and guitar are for recording.:bassist:

20. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Started on euphonium (a Conn 46i double-bell) in junior high seventh grade, and when the Beatles hit I wanted a BASS! My father, who could not understand they were two different instruments, wanted me to learn guitar first. I got a pawn shop Silvertone U1. After a year or so my father came round and bought me a bass.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021