1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who fell into bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jnuts1, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Bass is my only true love

42.5%
  2. started on guitar and then fell in love with bass

47.4%
  3. started on guitar and then was forced into bass by guitarists

10.1%
  1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I chose it because I saw more work opportunities for bassists than guitarists or drummers, both of which I played first. I also felt like it was the best of both worlds between drums and guitar.

And of course, to get chicks :D

2. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Piano lessons around 7-yrs. old, which just took me to the end of the first book. Picked up Coronet (like a mellower trumpet) in grade school for a year around 9-yrs. old. Picked up bit of guitar in 1964 and then got an acoustic guitar and had a friend in '65 help me out with various open chords and bar chords. Then in '65, I bought a bass but no amp. In '66 bought a Fender Bassman amp and realized I needed a different bass. Had a Japanese piece of :poop: before they figured out how to make nice basses and it sounded terrible. I played one gig with it and then, also in 1966, bought a 1965 Jazz Bass and all was right with the world.

Played bass throughout high-school and some college. Then joined a touring nightclub band and for the next three years played 5-nights a week for 50-weeks a year. It was a great time. Replaced my '66 Bassman with a Standel MCIIb/SAM30b piggy-back amp late in 1971. Met my wife while touring about 49-years ago. After touring I just did weekend gigs in the LA area. Moved to Oregon in 1976 and our house was burglarized taking ALL of my touring gear - 1965 Jazz Bass, amp, two Shure mics, but only one of my two Atlas mic stands.

Next door neighbor had two guitars, so I could often be found next door in my fee time playing his 12 string and singing things like America songs. My wife bought that 12-string and gave it to me Christmas of '76. Even though I managed to buy my current Jazz Bass in 1985, I still didn't have an amp to use. So I played that 12-string for the next 20-years. That's where the "Rip Van" comes from in my screen name of Riv Van Dan.

Finally in 1997 started gigging again but didn't really do it a lot until I moved to Virginia in 2005 and slowly but surely started upgrading my amps and cabs By 2010 I ended up with an acoustic B410 and a GK115bpx that I used with my Eden WT500/800 amp. I gigged those cabs for a number of years before replacing both of them with a single cab, a DNS-410 by DNA in 2015. The DNS-410 is far better sounding and far louder than the stack was, powered by that same Eden amp.

3. pigpen ridding

pigpen ridding

Dec 30, 2020
    Earth
    im 57 and ive never played a 6 string guitar i wanted to learn guitar and was brought a 1959 tele bass on my 7th birthday by mistake (mainly because mum didnt know the difference between bass and guitar ) and ive never stopped making basses playing basses and recording with basses ever since also still own my first bass also still own the first bass i brought from a gig which is a 1964 Gibson Thunderbird and i still play both on a regular basis

4. Winton

Winton

Nov 21, 2017
    Tokyo, Japan
    There was no option for starting on other instruments.
    I started playing tuba in middle school. Since I already read the bass clef, the school's jazz band asked me to play bass for the upcoming concert. Talk about blister heaven.

I ended up majoring in tuba performance for university, but now I play bass as my only instrument.

5. Ok, Gene may not have fallen on his bass, but these are close

6. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

I wanted to play bass, thought it was the coolest! I was right!
    In recent years I’ve been starting to dabble in other instruments, drums, synth and recently I’ve been having a pretty groundbreaking time on guitar. Bass is still king though and it’s the only instrument I play with other people. Learning the other stuff has been really beneficial in not only being more creative but also musical empathy for the other instruments in the band.

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  7. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I actually started on piano, but then guitar, then bass, with a smattering of other instruments. I love the sound of the electric guitar. I spent most of 7th grade listening to the Beatles - I remembering listening to Abbey Road on headphones, and the part before "The End" after the drum solo when they're singing "Love you... Love you..." (or something like that) - the guitars trade off, and there's one pass where the guitar is really distorted, it almost sounds like metal - I remember thinking "I want to sound like THAT!" I played that part for my mom - she wasn't impressed. But for whatever reason, I love a saturated distortion sound. Geezer Butler had great lines that grooved but were interesting too. Jack Bruce going nuts - I didn't understand a lot of it but I loved it. Roger Glover - Machine Head was one of my favorite albums, along with Made in Japan. Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Lemmy - those were some of my strongest influences. Half were pick players too, so there's that - I'm not afraid of embracing the potential "guitaristic" aspects of the bass guitar. Hand me a 4001/4003 and I can't help myself...

I love synths too - finally got around to them in my 30s. Then, with bass pedals like the mighty Moog Taurus, you can do it all at once! Why not!

8. 4stringfarley

4stringfarley Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Cajun Country
    Everyone I knew played guitar, wasn't really into that but wanted to play drums. Parents said no way could I have a drum set so I went with bass.

9. I aimed strait at the bass for purpose of starting a band... period.
    In 1972 , at least at my junior high, bass players were non- existent.
    I figured, if I took up bass, I'd be in a band lickaty split.....
    And I was right.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    None of the above.

I played low brass in high-school. My band director called me into his office one day and told me he wanted me to play tuba in the jazz band. I replied with something like "No thanks, man. That ain't cool."

A week or so later he called me back into his office. He pointed into the corner. There sat a brand new P bass and a Peavey TNT bass amp. "Jazz band starts in a few weeks. Better get ready tiger."

The rest is history.

EddiePlaysBass and McG like this.
  11. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Only one?

We are 2 of a kind then...I can't play a guitar to save my life...

Wanker_Joe likes this.
  12. GeorgesEric

GeorgesEric

Mar 24, 2021
    Bass was my choice.

13 or 14 years old, I wrote a letter to each of my brothers and sisters (we are ten kids in the family) asking them if they wanted to contribute to my purchase. My mom and dad probably helped me too. We were a "poor family" but I don't remember feeling poor growing up. In hindsight, growing in a wonderful family and getting a good education is immeasurable wealth.

So, a few months after receiving donations from my family members, I took the bus and went to Montréal (the BIG city) to Steve's Music Store downtown. Wall of instruments and amplifiers...Wow... My budget being rather humble, I walked out and went to a nearby music store, or maybe it was a pawn shop? It was not Steve's, that's for sure. In that smaller boutique, I bought an El Degas bass, sorta looking like an Alembic (now that I know what an Alembic is). I did not know anything about amps. The salesman who spoke English only - I only spoke French as a kid - was kind enough to guide me in my purchase. I ended up with a Traynor TS-15. I realized the amp was for guitar a little further on in my musical journey.

My sister, a jazz guitar musician found me a bass teacher. I took lessons for a few weeks. He taught me how to play "Bourrée" by Jethro Tull. He was a good teacher.

A few months later in a music store nearby my small community, I went to buy my first set of bass strings...I was shock! How much???? That's a lot of money, I don't have that kind of money! Well, the strings are not that bad. ;-)

Bass is a noble instrument.

Not a huge fan of Red Hot Chili Peppers or Flea's style, but his following quote is an excellent observation and could be a good summary of why many of us chose the bass as our main instrument:

“The stronger that the bass can support other instruments, the more the other guys can shine…As a bass player, you’re laying the foundation, you’re making the bed, you’re giving the ground for everyone else to dance upon.” So when I say “supporting role” I don’t mean secondary, or anything less than important. Our job is to make others sound better. And by making everyone else sound better, the band as whole will inevitably play and produce good music…which should be the underlying role of any genuine musician!

I like to see people shine.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    EddiePlaysBass and Wanker_Joe like this.
  13. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Dated a belly dancer?

You are lucky..;)

I'm guessing you didn't marry her...or did you..;)

14. Astronaut

Astronaut

Jul 21, 2013
    Broccoli

15. Corigan

Corigan Addicted to Shaking Walls Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2021
    Outside of Atlanta, GA
    Drumline on snare in school band. Got a guitar at 12. Was in a death metal band at 22. Couldn't find a bassist. I got a bass and played it poorly. Band broke up. Bass sat in dusty corner. Picked up bass one day and have never put it back down. Super addicted 5 years later. It is the right instrument for me. We were destined

16. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014

Press ganged, I was. Thank you, Lee :)

rutabaga bob likes this.
  17. basshawk21

basshawk21 Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    My parents gave me a used acoustic guitar when I was 8 or so (mid 1960's). I could only figure out single note stuff like Little Black Egg, Louie Louie , but once the chords started forget it - I was like the kid on the scooter trying to keep up with the bikes. It took a few years before it slapped me across the face 'Hey, listen to that bass. That's really cool'. So I had inherited a part-time job from my brother and bought a Univox Hi-Flyer in 1973. My friend was playing guitar and his dad was an electronics repairman. We acquired a stereo receiver from him and had him put a 1/4" input jack in it. We then made a cabinet and I put a 15" bass speaker in it I bought at Olsen Electronics. I later bought an Ampeg B12n for $40 at a pawn shop. Then I bought a.....

bassdrummer likes this.
  18. pbassjbass

pbassjbass

Jun 21, 2013
    Maryland
    started on piano, switched to trumpet in grade school (through high school band). Saw a local group. led by the bass player, and it seemed to me that was kind of the leading instrument of the band. So took up bass in high school. I've never wanted for playing opportunities (until covid), so never went looking for another instrument.

19. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I played guitar as a kid and picked it up again as an adult to play in a praise band at my small church. Our bassist graduated college and got a job out of state. He left his bass around as he took a vacation before starting, so I started to noodle around with it and fell in love it. I then volunteered for the bass job (we had better guitarists than I) bought a bass and took some lessons. I'm still adequate at best but good enough to enjoy playing with other amateur musicians.

20. Speakz

Speakz

Nov 9, 2017
    I was playing lead guitar in an original rock band around 2004. Most of our songs were written and sung by one guy who also played rhythm and some melody parts. He didn't miss a beat. I was amazed how "on" he always was. As it happened our bass player was also a song writer and sang back up vocals plus one tune to give Mike a break. So I would let him play guitar and sing his tune while I played his bass.

It felt very natural and so so good. Ever since then I knew I wanted to play bass more seriously so I got lessons and have played in 3 bands on bass. I still play guitar but played bass predominantly for the past 4-5 years. Decided not to let myself use a pick until the past few months so I would develop proper right hand technique. I find I want to learn and practice more as a bass player. Good times!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021