1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who has WARWICKS with non-MEC pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bannedwit, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Bump

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    From the way I understand it, they tried to nick the Seymour
    Duncan vibe with the newer MEC's, so after they severed their relationship with SD, they'd still have that oomph. Although they are an improvement over the older MEC's, they'll never have that Basslines thump. :scowl:

3. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I went the EMG route with my Corvette Standard. I also had the 3-band EMG preamp with sweepable mids. I thought the EMGs sounded great and I did receive nice compliments from sound engineers live and in the studio. The pre-amp was okay, I found myself constantly making adjustments. I found it better to just EQ with my amp if necessary. If I had to do it again I would just replace with EMG pickups and no preamp (passive tone control). The EMGs really added clarity but retained the Warwick growl and vibe, plus no noise. I think EMGs work well with the Warwicks with warmer/darker toned woods, i.e. the Corvette Standard with bubinga and the Thumb basses. On the flip side, I heard a Streamer with Bartolini setup that sounded great. Never tried the Seymour Duncan route but they make a great product and can only think that they would sound great in a Warwick.

Currently I'm using a Streamer LX 5-string with stock MECs and an Aguilar 2-band pre. Now I like this setup, the MECs sound much better with the Aguilar than the stock MEC preamp.

4. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I have a 1996 Streamer Bolt-On fretless with EMG P/J's and an MEC 2 band preamp. I didn't buy it new, so I don't know for sure if the EMG pups were stock or not, but I remeber reading in anothet thread that '96 was the year that Warwick started transitioning from EMG to MEC. Anyway, I finally got a sound that I like by increasing the string to pup distance (contrary to EMG's recomendation). The bass seems to have a more 'organic' sound now. I'm going to replace the preamp for something w/ a mid control. Two band EQ (especially on a fretless) just makes no sense to me.

PS. This is my 100th post!!! :hyper:

5. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    How would i replace the MEC in my Fortress Masterman? It looks like a stingray pickup, but its actually 2 seperate single coils. I couldn't just put a humbucker, because there's specific controls for each pickup.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Groundloop, give a Bartolini preamp a try in your bass. In my experience EMG pickups work extremely well with Bart pre's.

7. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    emjazz.

Thanks for the recommendation. I was just looking at the prewired HR 4.6 (NTMB 3 band) on Bartolini's site. It seems like a winner.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    If you're looking where to get one than check out www.bassgear.com.

9. Bartolini has passive and active jazz pups.

http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-4-string-j-pickups.htm

Quote from best bass gear:

Code:
    9J#1 - Split Coil Hum-Cancelling Pickups
    These pickups are split coil hum-cancelling designs - think of them as a "P-Bass* pair in box". These are wound to yield more "growl" from the Bridge pickup. They are very similar to our old 94J pickups, just ever so slighlty brighter at the bridge. These have stronger lows and low mids than the typical "vintage" tone. 

Classic Bass Series - 9CBJD1, 9CBJD3, 9CBJS
    "Classic Bass" CB series bass pickups are passive designs featuring an extended and more resonant frequency range. They have far more "air" and definition at the top without sacrificing lows and low mids. They are cast in epoxy to remove unwanted feedback and microphonics. CNC machined blades on all of the 4 string bass pickups listed below allow them to cover string widths from 50mm to 59mm on medium curvature fingerboards with excellent string balance. 

The 9CBJS are low noise Single Coil Pickups. 

The 9CBJD1 are hum cancelling Dual Coil Pickups - Deep Tone
    The 9CBJD3 are hum cancelling Dual Coil Pickups - Bright Tone 

9K#1 - Split Coil Pickups
    The Bartolini 9K#1 pickups are similar to the more common 9J#1 pickups, but are brighter and have more output. 

I'd personally go with the CB series because then you can add an active/passive switch if you want.

10. What is the difference between using active and passive pickups with an active preamp/electronics in your guitar?

I'm thinking of swapping out the MECs in my thumb 5 N/T for a complete bart setup and am wondering what difference there is between the active and passive pickups tone wise?

11. There aren't that many active pickups around. Most of the time an active bass features passive pickups with an active preamp.

12. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Aiight the decision has been made and the pickups are in hand...

I got Basslines AJJ-1's for the pickups and I bought the Basslines STC-2A tone circuit / Pre-amp...

I looked at my Stage 2 and ordered the STC-3A first (whoops!) forgot about the blend control. So I threw that in my Ibanez SRX-505... maybe in time it will go in my Streamer Stage 2 (I actually like the MEC;s in that one.)

Once the pre amp comes in on Wed probably, I will do it that day and post how sweet the sound is and how much better (or worse, hope not) the sound is...

I bases my decision on who I admire with Warwicks. I like the bassists from 311, Incubus, imp Bizkit and Slipknot who sport Warwicks with basslines in there.... so.

Thanks to all for the posts and guidance

13. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    my favs for wariwicks are as follows
    1-barts (passive)
    2-nordstrand (passive)
    3-emg (active)
    4-duncan (passive and or active)
    and for preamps
    1-bart (18 volt 3 band A/P w/ mid switch)
    2-bart (9 volt whatever )
    3- more bart as long as its a bart lol
    4-duncan (3 band 18 or 9 volts)

14. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    oo yea and also for preamps aguliar obp-3 w/ any of the settings and wiring patterns will work b/c those rock so move that to 4 n duncan to 5 thanxz

15. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I had a Thumb BO 4 with Barts. It was an evil tone monster. Stupid was I to sell it. Ran through an SVT and an 8-10. Sick combo for metal or any other dark application.

16. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    That's prooved to be NOT true.
    I asked a question to S.Duncan site and this is the result:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152438&page=2

Ciao!
    Gianni

17. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    I own a Streamer Jazzman that is sold with a bridge MM MEC PU.
    I have changed it with a Bassline SMB4a.

Now the tone is BY FAR BETTER.

I raccomend the change to every Warwick Jazzman owner.

But they are the passive MEC PUPs.
    I don't know if there are similar differences with Active MECs and EMGs.

Ciao!
    Gianni

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I don't know about the other models, but I think the best combo for the Stage 1 is the Basslines p'ups and pre.

19. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    After long hours of installing the Basslines pickups and tone circuit, I finally got it! I guess that is what I get for having my "electrician" father try to help. Installed everything and NOTHING!, went back to the old setup and NOTHING! I had my father stumped for hours because he does the whole electrician thing for a living and is also a guitarist who has replaced countless pickups in his day.

So i went to my roots and made the most basic of circuits with 2 volume pots and one tone pot. WORKED!
    Went and actually worked on the stuff myself and WORKED!
    This bass sounds very nice now.

I must admit, it wasn't a necessity... The sound is much better but to the lay person, they would have no clue that i did.

I feel that by the way things sound that the Thumb still has its crazy growl that they and all warwicks are known for. What I notice is that the EQ knobs are much more reactive to what I do and you can really hear a difference in tone with the smallest turn of the stacked knobs... LOW and HIGH stacked i believe.

So all in all, it made the Warwick sound tighter when plugged in tone wise and still kept the great sound that Warwicks are known for. Let's say this setup "enhances" the Warwick sound.

I am a fan of Basslines now. I had them in my MIM Fender P-Bass and was a fan of them since...

Thanks for all your help and guidance guys.

20. hi,
    i have a corvette standard on the way so I have 2 questions:
    firstly when replacing the pickups on a corvette standard are the pickup dimentions the same as a fender jazz (one smaller than the other) and would the combination of obp-3 and basslinesAJJ-1 be good for hard rock also has anyone installed a j-retro it to a warwick as i am interested to know how is sounds

dan