1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

who knows?? trujillo's bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chahin, Jun 24, 2007.

1. chahin

chahin

Jun 22, 2007
    can anyone tell me what bass does robert trujillo used in the
    groove family cyco CD, (infectious grooves band), if im not wrong is a tobias but im not sure, and if it is what is the bass reference???

THNKS

2. I remember with infectious he always used Tobias

3. Pretty sure he used the Tobias, but he also had a Stingray 5 from my recollection when I saw them live.

4. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    oh man...i just listened again to that cd in my car 2 days ago :bassist: ...great stuff.

as far as i know he owned a Musicman 5 , and couple of tobias killer B's in that period (before he had fernandes and zon).

so im guessing the bass he played on that album was one of the tobias basses.

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    He's had a few differnt basses. But during that period of Infectious Grooves, he used Tobiases with EMG's, and the on-board preamps were built by his tech.

Same thing with the SR5, the electronics were all custom on it too...

6. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Robert is great!! I actually played 8 of his Tobiases and MTD's. He owns the Killer B Prototype. If anyone can find a pic of his custom MTD with the sandblasted art, that is one amazing bass.

If you guys want to hear some CRAZY bass playing, look for a Japanese import record under Mass Mental where he plays with Armand Sabal-Lecco in a two bass band. I don't know how this isn't stuff of legends here.

7. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Pretty shure it's a Tobias.
    Great sound!

8. There is an article in the july/aug '94 issue bass player with robert about what basses he used. It says about him using his fernandes 8-string a bit on the record. I can't say I can hear it though. But otherwise he would have used his OG tobias basses.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Growler ?

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I don't think Growlers existed when that disc came out.

11. In this months Bass Player Magazine he is shown with a Fender in the Ampeg advert.

12. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Great stuff indeed. If you really want to cream yourself, listen to Mas Borracho, their third album, where he uses an MTD on most of the tracks.

Now that is tone to die for.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021