1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who uses a pick

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by trust24, Mar 25, 2009.

1. trust24

trust24

Nov 4, 2008
    ive been playing a year but ive never used a pick to play bass, i gave it ago and it sounded much cleaner. Is this a good technique or just an easy way out

2. IMO it is what it is. It sounds different, & might serve the song in some situations better than fingers. Do what you like. Learn as much as you can; you'll have more colors on your pallette.

3. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    It is a good technique. as bassteban indicated it just adds to your repetoir. I use a pick. I also use my fingers. I even use one finger as if it were a pick for strumming rock chords on the A and G string when the need arises. any way you can get a sound out of it is valid.

4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I use a pick, although the last two years I have been using my fingers more and more. So that makes 20 years with only a pick and 2 years at about 50/50. And I can say that it is NOT an easy way out. It doesnt do the playing for you, its just a different technique. Much like slapping is a different technique.

5. It is not the easy way out, you can't play nearly as fast on multiple strings with a pick. At least I can't.

6. trust24

trust24

Nov 4, 2008
    ha ha, i feel like the new kid a school where you are secretly trying to find out what is cool to do and what is seen as sad or whatever

7. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    As long as you keep time and hit the proper notes the technique used is the flavoring to fit the song or genre.

Fingers, pick, fingernails, thumb, or whatever. Learn them all because some things need one or the other.

John Entwistle was voted bassist of the millennium and used a pick on occasion.

Jim

8. Really? The only time I wish I was good with a pick is when playing multiple strings at once.

Here's a little joke:

Why do the bass players get all the chicks??

A: Because were real good with our fingers:bassist:

9. Matt Freeman uses a pick and he gets down right silly on the bass. ive used one for years but its just goes with the style of music that ive been playing.

10. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I use both as required... however, I probably play finger style about 75% of time.

11. I used to play with only my fingers. Then I started using a pick, cause I found I could play faster with it. Then, I started switching between the two. I'm playing with mostly a pick now, but it may swing back to fingers.

12. Don't sweat it- it doesn't matter what others say/think, especially on an internet forum.
    Now to answer your original question(who uses a pick), I actually very rarely use one- though I need to dig up a few for recording/composing; I like the tone on higher-register chordal, pretend guitar stuff on my 6. Lots of pros go back & forth, as the need arises.

13. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    When I started out with my band, I used my fingers 100% of the time. Now, I find I'm using a pick on 30-40% of our songs! Just a different tone, approach, etc.

PS I learned to use a pick by just putting on Ramones records and chugging along!

14. Safari

Safari

Feb 6, 2009
    Atlanta
    I used a pick last night to record a 160bpm double kick metal mayhem song. Otherwise I use only fingers regardless of genre. But I have fingernails - carryover from my classical guitar days. I find it harder to play fingerstyle on bass or guitar without fingernails. Without 'em I "wiff" a lot, and they add to expressiveness - you can choose to play brighter or muted with either the nail or flesh. Works for me.

15. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    it's an easy way out... that fact it sounds good is irrelevant - what really counts is how you play, not what you play

16. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I use a pick when needed, i.e. Yes, Incubus with Ben, etc.

But dont when playing things that dont need a pick, i.e. RHCP, Incubus with Dirk.

I just think its all preference, and the style youre playing.

17. Dertygen

Dertygen

Dec 21, 2008
    A-Town, Colorado
    You're joking... right?

18. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I dont think so. :scowl:

19. jmiller

jmiller