Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who was that guy? PBS Last Saturday . .

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by markfsanderson, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Last Saturday night, and early Sunday evening PBS (channel 8 here locally in Houston) had about an hour or so of a jazz band with and outstanding bass player. Does anyone know the name of the band and the bass player?

He was quite impressive . . . :bassist:

Mark F. Sanderson
    Hickory Bass Player

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Is that ALL the information you have? Trio, quartet, quintet, more? Black, white, Hispanic, Asian? Guy or gal? Standards or original compositions? Straight ahead, smoov, free bag, all of the above? What program? What originating PBS station? What city were they playing in?

3. Ed,
    Thanks for the prompt . . . The name of the show is Saturday Night Encore. There NO band name mentioned, and the answer to you questions . . . It looked like the invited one person from each continent(a drum player from India), it was jazz . . . but not really (electronically modified oboe!), they had both original and interpretations (Band leader played a banjo interpretation of a Beethoven piece - can't remember which one)The date was Sunday Oct 17, 2004 from 12:00am (sat night) until 2:00am that morning. The link that I saw was:
    PBS Schedule Link for KUHT Channel 8 at the above date/time If you notice this link shows a schedule - but no name of the band or players. I have no idea what city they were playing in.

Who are these guys?

Thanks . .

Mark F. Sanderson
    Hickory Bass Player

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It has to be Bela Fleck and the Flecktones....either that or a Bela Fleck solo project with other bass players. If it's Flecktones then the bassist is Victor Wooten. Shorter black guy, curly hair. Probably playing a maple topped fodera or a fodera that looks like a big Ying Yang symbol. Do a search here and you'll find him talked about many times.

If he was a white guy playing upright bass then there's a good chance that it was Edgar Meyer.

brad cook

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That does indeed sound like Bela Fleck & The Flecktones Live @ The Quick. They did have an Indian Tabla player and a Tuvan Throat singer.

6. That's them . . . it was the black guy . . . good lord he's good!

Mark F. Sanderson
    Hickory Bass Player

7. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    No, not good. Victor Wooten is a Legend!! He's recorded some solo stuff, too. He flies.

8. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Wow man, you haven't heard of Vic Wooten?!!! My my my...

9. Ah, I makes my heart sing to see someone come into appreciation of the great master who is Vic Wooten. Yes, while I don't believe in "best" labels for musicians, he's likely one of the most talented musicians to ever lay down the low end.

You must now buy the cd by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones titled "Live Art". This is what I would suggest for a beginning Flecktones fan, from there you can buy whatever you want. Or, if you're into downloading, try the track titled "Sinister Minister" and "Amazing Grace". Only legal downloading please; 99 cents is surely not too much to pay.

Let us know what you think.....

Mark

10. Unfortunately I havent' played any musical instrument in years . . and haven't really been keeping up with whos who . . .I've just recently been reinterested in playing music . . . Here is my introduction to the talkbass group(of sorts) . . . But Victor, maybe not the best - but he's surely a master! I'm normally a channel-surfer . . . but I was transfixed by these guys!

Mark - I plan on buying one (or more) of their albums - and they appearing at #'s on Westheimer here in Houston. I'm pretty well set on attending that concert . . . it should be great!

Thanks Guys!

Mark F. Sanderson
    Hickory Bass Player

11. I forgot to mention.....

when you go to most Flecktones shows, if you hang around in front of the stage after the concert, Bela and Vic and the rest will come out to talk with fans. You can meet and talk with and get your picture taken and get an autograph from Vic. He's one of the most geniune and down-to-earth guys around.

and don't forget Bela, who's also world renowned.

Good luck, report back to us.....

Mark

12. Mark,
    I'll do that . . . .

Thanks for tips . . .

Mark