Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Demens, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Hey guys, I took the plunge today!

I went into Austin with my dad and drove over to Blackerby Violin. I called them earlier today and had them hold a bass for me (luckily they had one ready for rental).

So, now I am sitting at home, taking a break from my first experience with a Double Bass in my life. I have been practicing with a tuner to help me work on my intonation, but it is surprisingly coming very fast for me.

The bass is a 3/4 Christopher (the one that is like $1800) and I am renting it for $50 a month (well, plus a $7 insurance I am paying, just incase I accidentally destroy it, so really $57). To me it sounds great... But I am an untrained DBer. :p

I am going to start taking lessons with my teacher this next Tuesday, and can't wait. I wish I could have had a lesson today! This is a lot of fun.

Thanks for all the helpful advice about DBs, this forums community is great.

2. mpoppitt

Mar 28, 2005
    Austin Texas
    WOO HOO! your gonna have a blast. Good luck with the lessons.

Which model Chrissy is it, the 100, or 200?
  3. FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Congratulations and welcome to the club. You can't beat starting out by renting a bass and taking lessons from a good teacher. You'll learn good habits from the teacher and give your ears to learn what sound you are trying to achieve before plunking down big bucks to buy a bass. Way to go . . .

Best of Luck . . .
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    sweet! You get a pretty good starter bass- a chrissie is nothing to shrug at if you have never played. I'd take it over my M-1. Best of luck!
  5. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas

Not totally positive. I would guess the 100. But, I was looking at pictures of the 100, and the tuners of this bass are different (maybe Blackerby upgraded... or it is an older model).

Anyways, it's great, I couldn't wait to get home to play it today, it's awesome.
  6. Baird

Jun 27, 2005
    Hey sounds like you are headed in the right direction. I am located in Waco too and am wondering who you are taking lessons from?
  7. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    I'm taking from a Baylor graduate... His first name is Terrance, not sure on the last name right off the top of my head. My dad jammed with him and that's how we got in touch.

Anyways... On another note, I think I actually have your number Baird... Your first name Ryan? Someone gave me your name and number saying you were selling a bass or thinking about it, haha. I will give you a call today and let you know the teachers I have dug up in the area, if you want... Send me a PM.