1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who's got experience with both the Ampeg PF-800 & PF-50T?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by James Lugo, Dec 23, 2017.

1. James Lugo

James Lugo

May 29, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Hey guys so I'm starting to play in a rock band and need a decent amp to go with my P bass. I've been playing a lot of amps this week (Ampeg, TC, GK, Rumble, Trace Elliot etc..) and am definitely looking to get a Portaflex. One store has a PF-800 with a 4x10 and another has the PF-50T with a 1x15 cab. I really like them both but can't be heard side by side. Would the 50T be to low wattage for a rock band? It's weird it seemed pretty loud. Also what do you guys think of 1x15 vs 4X10? I've been mostly a studio bassist for the past 15 years, so I don't really know about love rigs. Thanks

2. I'd like to think the 50 Watts of tube power would sound like 150 Watts of SS power.
    Get the 4x10" & the PF-50T.

Once upon a time I had a 18 Watt tube head that sounded 3x louder than my 20 Watt SS combo.

If both stores are GC or Sam Ash, buy the cheapest one & take it to the other store to compare side-by-side.
    Return the one you don't like, if it happens to be the one you bought.

If only one of the stores are GC or SA, buy the one from there & take it to the other store to compare.

If the PF-50T isn't loud enough with one 4x10", get another 4x10", assuming the 4x10" is 8 Ohms.

Oh, the other option is buy a Fender Rumble 500 head & two 4x10"s.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

PF50t and as single 15” will not do the job for you if you are playing with loud guitars. You’re going to need more speaker surface to keep up. I know because I have an old v4b 100 watt and one 15 could keep up but that speaker was working hard in a three guitar rock band. Added another 15 and it liquifies organs without stressing the speakers.

I currently have the pf800 and with the same two cabs, hate to say it, the v4B destroys it in tone and loudness.

Back to the pf50, I would definitely want two 15’s or a 410. Or 2 210s.

4. James Lugo

James Lugo

May 29, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah I went tonight and found a store with both. The PF-50T is really nice but I play very hard and the front end of the 50T struggled a bit. The 800 just was perfect. Also the 50T sounded kind of 70s to me which is cool but not my thing. The 800 just rocked with my P with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders.

bass%20rig_zpswlskcxur.

Attached Files:

brianmharrison likes this.