1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who's trying to lose weight this year??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Dec 31, 2012.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    What he said, going to gym in January is worthless... It's packed... That's why i am ice skating right now...

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I fear that i'll end up using these apps for rest of my life... losing weight is easy as i found out, keeping it off... blah... So i guess i am going to be using that forever.

3. Thank you... I will take a look at MFP.

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Keep at it. It's going to feel great when you hit some of your goals.

If you ever go over to loseit.com, PM me and I'll we'll connect.

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I want to thank tplyons for this thread and for recommending loseit.com

I owe you big time.

For the first time in many years, I really, really believe I'm going to stick on this plan and achieve. I'm very excited about feeling and looking better for the first time in a long time.

If anyone wants to connect on loseit.com, PM me. I would be glad to.

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    My recipe for dieters looking for something like an omelette.
    It can be thrown together very quickly. It helps if you also like spicy stuff.

In a bowl:
    - 1 egg
    - 2 egg whites. [I am buying the containers of egg whites - great stuff][this is about 6 tablespoons of egg whites]
    - 2 tablespoons of corn flake crumbs
    - 1/2 cup of broccoli
    - Little onion powder and garlic powder
    - Little cayenne powder
    - Spritz of Frank's Hot Sauce.

Nuke it for about a minute. Stir it, and maybe nuke it up a little more. [Depends on what texture you want.]

Salt and pepper to taste.

Less than 200 calories, while, for me, being satisfying.

7. I put on around 6lbs over the two weeks i took off training for xmas and new year.

Lost 4 in a week and still have 2lbs to loose before the 24th of january to make weight at the BJJ European open.

I found loosing weight very easy, just watch what you put in your mouth!
    All i do is cut all my meals (4 meals every day) by a third and i just drop weight daily.

I know i keep saying it, but weight loss is about what you put in your mouth, not about exercising. It is a lot easier not to eat 100 calories than it is to burn 100 calories.

8. My only real goal is to be about 120lbs on race day for my climbing races.

9. That's really good advice, I never thought of it that way!

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, 8 pounds in 9 days, so far. I'm holding at about 1,000 to 1,200 calories a day. The key is counting every calorie you put in your mouth.

11. I don't know how heavy/tall/old you are, but that sounds like very very little calories!

By eating to little you can actually force your body into starvation, meaning you will start to burn off muscle and store fat rather than the opposite.
    Since your muscle uses more calories than fat your body will try to lower its calorific needs by getting rid of muscle and will actually store fat as a last resort reserve.

Most people recommend lowering your daily intake by 250 to 500 calories under your daily needs. More than that is pretty extreme and can actually slow down your weight loss and is pretty unhealthy.

12. When I started to diet and exercise I went from a sedentary lifestyle and average of 3000-3500 calories a day to 1000-1300 calories a day, and vigorous exercise 5-6 days a week. I was so weak and hungry that I wa getting headaches and dizzy spells. The first 3 weeks I worked out I gained 6 pounds really fast even though I was only walking on a treadmill and doing very light strength training. I also went from several big sodas a day down to a 12oz soda once a week as a reward for being good and sticking to my plan. A month in, I decided to change my diet to a lean, soda free diet where I watch calories like a hawk and start exercising harder. Immediately lost 8lbs. Been sticking to 1800-2200 calories a day and I've been shrinking and gaining strength at the same time every single day for a month.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    We'll see. I've done it before. Of course, I was younger then. The problem is that I was eating probably 3,000+ calories a day before, which is what added all the weight. I'm sure there were some 5,000 calories days in there. I can probably maintain at 2,000.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Agreed with Carlos. Find out how much you need to maintain and then cut out 500 calories a day.

Approximately 3500 calories per pound. Five hundred calories per day is 3500 a week.

By the transitive property, you'll lose about a pound a week.

--------

Now for my current status, I'm hanging at 5.5 lbs. lost week 1. I'm hovering due to long hours in the office and not sleeping as much as I should be. I'm on the road this weekend for work and then back in the office for a week. It's a grueling schedule that's going to slow my progress.

But it's about lifestyle change, not just the weight loss. I'm making decisions each time I eat. Could I eat more of this, or a little bit of this for the same calories.

On the road I go, I plan on splurging a bit on Saturday (St. Louis BBQ) but after eleven days of healthy eating, one bit of treating is okay.

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    loseit.com gave me an 1800 calorie a day budget.
    I've been trying to keep it close to 1500 calories.

8 pounds so far for me.

Age definitely matters. Over the years, when you pound your body the way I have, the metabolism slows down. In my 20s and 30s, I could lose weight with ease. No so much anymore.

Indeed, the key is watching every single thing you eat. I have had many past diets where I Pretended I was dieting, but it didn't add up to one. Recording all my activity on loseit.com really helps me wake up and stay disciplined.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Great to hear! You're making great progress!

Anyone else want to weigh in on their progress? (Yes, pun intended)

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I know you know this, but be careful.

A splurge day for me has annihiliated every diet I have tried over the past 10+ years. Personally, I guess I have to say I'm a Foodaholic - meaning, my only chance at Staying on this long enough to hit my goal is to have a zero splurge tolerance policy.

Of course, this all depends on each individual, along with how much the individual is looking to lose. I'm obese, and I have an enormous goal ahead of me.

Rather than think *splurge*, maybe you just want to think of Tasting the BBQ - and then walking away.

Best wishes with the travel.

18. That doesn't mean it was a good idea back then!

If i were you i would aim for the 2000 for two reasons:

- it is healthier for you.

- it is something that you will be able to keep up forever! Most people who starve themselves like that end up putting the weight back on as it is pretty impossible to keep this kind of eating up for a long time.
    What you need to do is change the way you eat/live in the long term, not starve yourself until you reach the desired weight and then go back to eating like crap.

IMO the concept of dieting is wrong! It implies that you are changing your diet for a short while, rather than change your eating habits completely until you find something that works long term for your body!

In the end it is your body, and you need to experiment with it. What works for you might not work for me and vice versa.

For example i always have a meal an hour before going to bed, can't sleep without it, most people will tell you it is a horrible idea, it works for me!

19. And if your body's confused?

I lift. I have little tone. If my stomach didn't exist however you'd think I was rail skinny. So is it a lifting thing or a running thing? Honestly, I never had the stamina for running so I just didn't (took up some cycling and speed walking tho).

20. It really is neither...

Whether you are a lifter who starts running or a runner who starts lifting, you end up burning more calories than you were since you exercise more.
    If you had a stable weight, and still eat the same amount of calories as you were before you added the second exercise you will loose weight, that's it.

There is no magic combination of exercise that makes you loose weight, just a basic equation, if you burn more than you eat, you loose weight, if you burn less, you gain weight.

It's a calories in/calories out thing!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021