1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who's using Oliv G & D?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by john allemond, Nov 2, 2013.

1. john allemond

john allemond Supporting Member

Hi all

Who's using Oliv G,D and with what E,A ?

Also , how's longevity? I've used them in the past on different basses, and loved them, but always had issues.

Wanting to set one of my basses with something other than guts, and am tempted. Thnx John

2. swmmojo

swmmojo Be up and doing...

Spiro Reds E, A, D with Oliv G. I've had the same Oliv G for more than a year now. No issues to report. However, I have not been taking my strings on and off - the same strings have been on for the entire time. I'm super happy with this combo on my Upton ply.

3. john allemond

Thnx for input Stephen.

4. lcdck

lcdck

Dec 8, 2011
    New York, NY
    I have an Olive G, Evah Pirazzi medium EAD on a bass I just bought. I play gut D, G on my other bass and put the Olive on to replace the thin Evah G. I like the sound pizz and bowed and the diameter of the string, though it could be a little bigger for me. I wish it didn't have as high of tension but other than that it's okay. On my bass it is a huge improvement over the Evah G and I think it blends well with the other strings. If I had a D I would probably put that on as well.

5. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    How do the Oliv's work for Bowed stuff? I mean like bach and stuff.

6. lcdck

lcdck

Dec 8, 2011
    New York, NY
  7. lcdck

lcdck

Dec 8, 2011
    New York, NY
    They bow very well.

8. john allemond

Thnx, my previous tries with the Olivs were Oliv G,D Evah E,A and once with Eudoxa E and A. John

9. lcdck

lcdck

Dec 8, 2011
    New York, NY
    How was the Oliv G/D, Eudoxa E/A combination?

10. wellso74

wellso74 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Richmond, Virginia
    I've had Oliv d&g and Evah's weich for over a month now- pretty decent- nice bowing- decent jazz- happy so far

11. john allemond

The Eudoxas are nice, but you get about the same sound with Evah at lower cost, and without winding issues. John

12. walkin

walkin

Jul 31, 2006
    France
    Since many years i've used Olivs G/D with obligato (slightly used) E/A.
    I've tried with Evah weich but i find the sound arco/pizz is more close with Obli.
    With spiro weich (used) it's a good job too.
    For an equal tension i advice to use weich.
    Olivier

13. Kai Sanchez

Kai Sanchez Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
    You mean Spiro Weich S42W? or .3885W?

14. walkin

walkin

Jul 31, 2006
    France
    High,
    Weich for the tension (spiro/evah)
    It depends to the scale of your bass.
    In France the luthier "jean Auray" advising to play with S42W (110 cm/long scale) to have less tension, on a standard bass (104/106cm).
    It's more flexible and the feel is better with the Olivs,
    I know that the Obli are not so liked, (and for some reasons i'm sharing the "points de vue), but with Oliv, try to re-consider their potential.
    Olivier

15. Kai Sanchez

Kai Sanchez Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
    Thanks!

16. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Would I expect a wrapped gut string like the Olive to have more tension than a plain gut string due to the winding? I am having issues with my shoulder again. When I had this problem before I used Supernils during my rehab. That seemed to work for me but they aren't bowable.

17. No, you cannot expect this in general.
    It all depends on the mass per length unit: greater mass -> more tension.

But gut string makers usually make what you want, you only have to talk to them and tell them how much tension you want on which vibrating string length. At least for naked guts.

18. Tension and stiffness are two different things though.

19. I have Spiro E A with Oliv D G. Planning to switch to plain gut when they die but they seem to have a good life in them. I do find the tension of the Spiros a bit too high (no idea which kind they are, they came with the bass)

20. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Oliv G,D w/ EP Weich are a great set if your weather changes are not too drastic. Both pizz and arco are excellent.