Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's Using Rack-Mount Multi FX Units?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The pedals just don't do it for me. I'm primarily interested in the Rocktron Intellifex and Xpression units but would consider Roland, Boss, Yamaha, etc. What's your experience?

Cheers!

Riis

2. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Bump!

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've been using the Intellifex for years. Nice and clean, with a good noise reduction section. I like the seamless patch shifting too. Any specific questions about it?

I also own and like the Lexicon Vortex, Symetrix 606, and Boss GX-700 (guitar modeler) for bass. One big caveat: putting any of these EFX inline rather than through an EFX loop gives really inferior results, except for the GX-700. I use a little Mackie mixer to submix EFX, which works very well.

Where are you trying to go with your rack? Which effects do you consider essential?

4. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks for the response. Here's what I need (I think):

*Chorus
    *Flange
    *Reverb / Delay
    *Phasing
    *EQ

Here's what I don't need:

*Wah-wah
    *Fuzz

I'm trying to add some subtle dimension without being overbearing. We cover quite a few oldies / classics, none of the new stuff. I've seen reviews on both the Intellifex and Xpression but have seen / heard neither. The rig in question in an RBI > RNC compressor > Sonic Maximizer > Crest power amp > Acme 4X10. My backup is an inexpensive Eden combo.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

No EQ on the Intellifex, nor phasing. It does time domain stuff only, but it does that quite nicely. It's really good for subtle settings.

You might want to take a look at the Boss VF-1, I've heard good things about it. It's half-rack format, which would fit nicely with the RNC. It has that Roland sound, I'll leave it for you to decide how you feel about that. I'm kind of warming up to it, personally.

6. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA

7. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Ditto on the VF-1...great unit, and very flexible. I use the heck outta mine.

8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I've been using a Boss SE 50 for quite some time.
    Excellent Effects Processor for Bass.
    It kicks butt. They can be had for under $100.
    Best multi-effect value around.
    Boss SE 70 is absolutely the best, but expensive used.
    The COSM Boss VF1 is the same used price as a SE 70.

[​IMG]