Who's you favorite?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jorgebassguy, Apr 28, 2021.

1. misterCRUSH

misterCRUSH It's all jazz...it's ALL jazz...

Dec 27, 2015
    Arkansas
    Jaco: Mainly for his creativity and doing things nobody had really done before.
    Charlie Haden: Definitely one of the more cerebral bassists I've ever heard. His use of intervals and reharmonization is legendary.
    Scott LaFaro: Another one who took the bass into new territory by playing it in a way that had not really been done before.

2. gorneyg

gorneyg Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2012
    New Jersey
    Victor Wooten. Rocco Prestia. Roscoe Beck. Brian Bromberg. Tiran Porter. Allen Woody. Berry Oakley. Alain Caron. Willie Weeks. Alphonso Johnson. Michael Manring. John Cowan.
    Not that I can play like any of them........

3. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Smooth_bass88

Jorgebassguy and MynameisMe like this.
  4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Dinosaur Jr. and Sebadoh was some of my absolute favorite bands of my late teens/early adulthood, and some of the few bands that I loved back then that still means a lot to me, that I still love and haven't really grown out of, and Lou Barlow was in many ways my big musical hero back then.

Also the best songs on the last few Dinosaur Jr. albums in my opinion has been the ones written by Lou (even if the last J. Mascis solo album was great and had some of the best songs J have written like probably since the Hand It Over album from 1997).

Though Dinosaur Jr., J. Mascis, Lou Barlow and Sebadoh will always have a very special place in my heart no matter what.

And while Lou Barlow might not be as technical proficient as some of the other bass players on my list, and hardly is the best rock bassist ever, unlike J. Masics who I honestly consider one of the greatest rock guitarists ever, he is the perfect bass player for Dinosaur Jr. and an amazing songwriter as well.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  5. SteveBassJr

SteveBassJr It all sounds the same, It's all one song!

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I am a really big fan of Damian Erskine. If your not hip to him. Check him out. His style is unique and his approach is right up my alley.
    He is a down to earth guy and a fantastic teacher. I am a member of his Bass Education.com website. derskine.png

Reedt2000 likes this.
  6. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    For what I enjoy playing, I wish I had half the talent of Mars Cowling.

David McIntire likes this.
  7. dangevans

dangevans

Mar 26, 2014
    Joe Osborn, James Jamerson, Jack Bruce. Jerry Scheff is up there, too.

8. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    They were my models also, to the point that I wanted to change my name to Jack in High School.....

bholder likes this.
  9. Zoffy

Zoffy

Jun 7, 2020
    Sacramento CA
    Top 3: Phil Lesh, Tina Weymouth, Leland Sklar.

10. LowWay

LowWay It’s got 4 strings ‘cause they’re bigger! Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2009
    W Mass
    Totally agree. I remember fondly the day J Mascis came to see my little band in ‘94 in a local club and bought a CD. Bug and Green Mind were in constant rotation for me for years. Others too of course, but those were my favorites then.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  11. Dennis Dunnaway
    Gary Thaine
    Chris Glenn
    John Doe
    Sir Paul
    Randi Jo Hobbs

The Owl and Bruiser Stone like this.
  12. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Changed a lot over the years. I grew up idolizing Squire, The Ox, guys like that. Now it's players like Tommy Cogbill, Klaus Voormann.

• Joe Dart for his unceasing drive and funk as well as his tone
    • Willie Weeks for his perfect lines
    • Stanley Clarke for his musicianship and tone
    • Paul Jackson for his groove and drive
    • Sir Paul for his unerring sense of melody
    • Duck Dunn for his solid underpinning of the song
    • Carol Kaye for everything she ever did

13. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Anthony Jackson. He’s the only guy that I have truly admired for my almost four decades of playing bass. So many players have come and gone from the list…. He just stays there.

14. Great to have some love for Paul Denman. Sade’s underrated Star

Crispus likes this.
  15. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Tina Weymouth and Bruce Thomas come to mind but the bass player named Mysterious in a band called the Rezillos was a personal favorite. His playing style and his tone really spoke to me. I also really liked a lot of the other bass players that have already been mentioned.

16. Benj-jammin

Benj-jammin Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2020
    North Carolina
    Squire and JPJ were the two biggest game changers for me. Entwhistle's playing on the Live at Leeds
    "My Generation" medley still blows me away 50+ years later...almost uncopiable stuff there. So damn trebly and disjointed.

17. Craig Orndorff

Craig Orndorff Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2021
    John Deacon, John Paul Jones, James James Jamerson, Duck Dunn, Geddy Lee, Roger Waters, John Entwhistle and Carol Kaye are all personal heroes.

Flea I have a love-hate because I’ll never get remotely there with slapping and popping, but man what a show.

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Listening to Vic talk about buying groceries is inspiring. I like him as a human even more than as a bass player.

Jorgebassguy and Pizza1988 like this.
  19. Craig Orndorff

Craig Orndorff Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2021
    Also, I know this is early and not all a representative sample, and I’m probably taking my forum life in my own hands, but I only saw Jaco once.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021