Who's you favorite?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jorgebassguy, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Greg Waldon

Greg Waldon

Aug 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    None
    Leon Wilkeson - Very underrated player.
    john Entwistle
    Duck Dunn

2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    For me it's their first 2 albums, the self titled one and then "You're Living All Over Me", from respectively 1985 and 1987, especially the latter, which might be their absolute best album.

"Little Fury Things" from that album even being one of my absolute favorite songs of all times, and the guitar solo in "Raisins" probably being the best rock guitar solo ever in the entirety of music history, so damn absolutely heart-wreckingly beautiful and full of emotions, it literally feels as if J. Mascis is tearing out his heart right in front of you and making you feel it too.

Though I love "Where You Been" and "Without a Sound" too, respectively 1993 and 1994, from after Dinosaur Jr. more or less turned into J. Mascis solo project, but which are among the absolute best Dinosaur Jr. albums as well, as far as I am concerned.

Of the newer ones, after they reformed with the original lineup, I like the first one, "Beyond" from 2007, the best, which featured two absolutely killer songs written by Lou, though my favorite song from the newer albums is probably "Love is...", also written by Lou, from their previous 2016 album "Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not".

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  3. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I like Bob, he's real good.

Jorgebassguy likes this.
  4. ntang

ntang

Nov 2, 2020
    My favorite will always be Geddy Lee. Mostly because Rush is my favorite band and he was the most influential in getting me started.

Other than that I don't really have favorites. They're all good!

5. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    Paul Chambers, because he always plays the right note right on time.
    Bootsy, because of Lickin Stick.
    Marcus Miller, because he's the perfect bridge between past and present.
    Mike Watt, because he plays loud, real weird, but never too much or too fast.
    Pino on Voodoo, because that sh!t is slick.

6. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Way to go, Sebadoh! (I know, he didn't play bass with them...)

NoiseNinja likes this.
  7. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    James Jamerson
    Jack Bruce
    Anthony Jackson
    Stanley Clarke
    Jimmy Johnson
    Alphonso Johnson
    Colin Hodgkinson
    Percy Jones
    John Entwistle
    Chris Squire
    Tony Levin
    Louis Johnson
    Larry Graham

8. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    That's correct, though he might have played bass on some of the songs on the albums.

Also actually he original started out playing guitar in a hardcore punk band called "Deep Wound", where J. Mascis played drums, before they formed Dinosaur Jr. and J. decided to pick up guitar, because he wasn't satisfied with how anyone else did it, so he figured he had to take care of that himself.

On the first couple of Dinosaur Jr. albums J. also pretty much wrote all the drum parts and told/snowed Murph meticulously how to play them (and after he fired Lou somewhere after their third album, so around 1989, and Murph eventually decided to quit, I think somewhere between "Where You Been" and "Without a Sound", so around 1993, what more or less had turned into J's solo project, J also took care of all the drum parts recorded for the albums forward on, up until J. Mascis decided to disband the band completely, somewhere around 1998. After the reunion, somewhere around 2005, with the original line up, Murph is back on drums though).

He did leave the bass parts entirely up to Lou however.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  9. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Pino Palladino - legendary fretless work, groovy enough for D'Angelo
    Tina Weymouth - bedrock, inventive, grooves
    Tony Levin - perfection with Peter Gabriel and King Crimson
    Charles Mingus - brilliant bassist, master composer with a unique voice

The Owl and misterCRUSH like this.
  10. wncBass

wncBass

Jan 2, 2015
    North Carolina
    aston%2Bfamily%2Bman%2Bbarrett%2Bbob%2Bmarley%2B1970s%2Bsunglasses%2Baviator.jpg

WG Plum and Swamp_Ronin like this.
  11. :roflmao: :roflmao:

*Holding an orange*

"What is ripe? We don't need to squeeze the orange. We know when the orange is ready when it sings from the soul. We interpret the song through our nose as it speaks to us"

two fingers and Jorgebassguy like this.
  12. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Joseph Troy

Tim Commerford

Sean Yseult

Matt Freeman

Fat Mike

Greg K

Lonnie Turner

Fuzz Kmak

13. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

There are many I admire, but if I could play like any bassist it would be like Chuck Rainey - Groove/ pocket and melodicism.

Scott Willis would be my second choice.

Who's Scott Willis, you ask?

David McIntire likes this.
  14. Dean Felber

15. Christian McBride is my favourite. Whether his Trio or his Big Band or when he plays with the other Jazz Greats. He is truly amazing as he lays down the bottom end while pulling everyone else together. Live he is an excellent entertainer as the joy of his music oozes out of him. (How I miss living in NYC and seeing him regularly.)

thabassmon likes this.
  16. I agree with Cliff Burton for sure. Also, Steve Harris cuz I loved his sound mostly and obviously his playing style is amazing.

17. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    I think he's great, I've been listening to him for quite a long time. And it was through listening to him I became aware of the pianist Christian Sands who I find outstanding as well.

Joshua and BazzaBass like this.
  18. Yes absolutely! Sands is incredible and he’s only 32

Joshua and thabassmon like this.
  19. LeFunk Machine

LeFunk Machine Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2014
    D.C.
    James Jamerson.

20. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I forgot Anthony Jackson.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021