1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why a Gotoh 201 bridge over a standard Fender

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ejaggers, Aug 27, 2012.

1. ejaggers

ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Hurst, tx
    I started to buy a 201 for my Modded AFN P, but what would I gain from it? Any takers on this thread?

2. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    Some will claim it gives you more sustain, maybe for looks?

3. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I tried a 201, but felt it didn't do anything, so i put back on the original bent plate bridge and sold the 201.

Good Luck!

4. I like mine. Eliminates saddle squirm (sideways movement). Sounds better. More highs, more lows. And it's louder. I always prefer what's acoustically louder, whether it's strings (LaBella M45, TI flats), or body wood (ultra light alder), or hardware, because it always sounds better to me (with only one exception, Pyramid Gold strings). The 201 is an exceptional value because you get about as much out of it as you can get out of a bridge. I like it a bit more than my Babicz (I have 2 of each). There is a thread here about a 201 clone that costs half as much. If the fit of the saddle elevation screw ends in the baseplate grooves is as good as on the Gotoh (this is what eliminates saddle squirm), then it would be an even better deal.

UK Philip likes this.
  5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Two main advantages for replacing those thin bent metal fender bridges. First is playability. You dont have those sharp pokey edges and screw tops sticking way out the top of saddles. Imo the reason leo lut cover over the bridge was as hand protector against sharp pokey scratchy edges of his cheap bridges. 2nd advantage is little bit fuller sound with high mass bridge. The gotoh 201 barely qaulifies for the latter but doesnt bite and gnaw at your hand should it stray near it like the fender ones do..

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It will successfully make your bridge look like a Gotoh instead of a Fender. Any other benefits are really a matter of personal opinion.

7. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    will the 201 still fit under a bridge cover?

8. Technically true, but if a difference is describable, it is good to describe it to a fellow TBer who requests that information.

Guiseppe likes this.
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

And based on long experience in this forum, for every assertion of (A) as a result, there will be an assertion of (Not-A) in response.

But you have to admit the bridge will look different. That's the only result I can guarantee.

;)

10. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    had some intonation problems and saddle slide issues, solved that, now the tone is slightly different, a little more clear i guess, i wouldn't change it if i didn't have the two issues just to get a subtle tone change

11. To everyone that hears a 'tone change,' please submit your A/B recordings for us to hear.... : D

FingerDub likes this.
  12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    that's the thing it is so subtle i'm not sure it would that easy to discern

13. As far as the lateral saddle movement on the Fender saddles, that has never been a problen for me, if it had, at most, I would have replaced the saddles with vintage Fender threaded saddles, solves the problem at a lesser cost.
    Sustain and tone improvements? As there is nothing wrong with those elements on my basses with old-style bridges, why would I chance it that any bridge changes (whatever brand) might make slight improvements (slight being, from most reports from those who have done such swaps, the best I could hope for.) ?
    It would be a silly waste of time and money.
    Keep in mind, this is how I would feel about most aftermarket bridges, Baddass, Gotoh, or whatever.

14. No biggie. I told a friend to come here to ask his question, that half would give one answer and the other half would say the opposite, but that he had enough brains to determine which to go with. So it is still important to report what you hear with your own ears to someone who asks.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

This - pretty much word for word...

- georgestrings

16. I bought one once. It went on without the need for drilling any other holes BUT the bridge saddles sit higher than standard Fender ones, therefore with mine even with the saddles at their lowest point the action was still too high.
    I don't like shimming neck pockets so I sold it and bought a Hipshot A!

17. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    my point is that some of the old school bridges could be lacking in terms of stability if a youngster gets intoxicated and beats the hell out of a vintage bass with all his/her might at practice and shows in a hardcore type band

18. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Lol, true the stability of the gotohs is better the old school fender bridges to.

19. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    Adds some weight and might affect tone. I just took one off my parts bass and put on a more standard bent style bridge. My bass feels a tad lighter. Classic rather than modern look.