Why am I a sucker for basket case cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Andrew, Oct 4, 2018.

1. I fear I may have an ilness a strange sort of GAS. I have immaculate non beaten up cabs that are just fine but I find myself drawn to buying banged up pieces of poopie that need attention. The kick is the cheaper the better. What on earth? It seems to be related to gear I once had and wanting to rescue it from the dumpster. Latest aquisition is a Peavey (I'm predictable) 410 US TX I completely don't need that looks like it went down with the Titanic. Suggestions on what to do with it are welcome. Cost 30 euros. Fully working but full of woodlice and rust.... Help me...

2. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    What is the reason you tell yourself why you buy them?

Do you want to play them live because they are more punk rock and/or vintage?
    In order to buy a piece of gear, you need sufficient justification or else you would not buy it.
    This could be because you can see yourself using that in a theoretical scenario in the future,
    the simple fact that you need just this just now, that the offer is too good to pass and you might just buy it to sell it on with a profit .... maybe looking at the thing that drives you towards the purchase might shed some light ?

Mark Andrew likes this.
  3. Sound advice I will ponder for a while...

4. Allot of what you said is true. Yes I think it was to good to pass up. Maybe I see the value of things to easily. Here in holland If smartened up the resale value is reasonable. Yes I can see myself using it as it matches my favourite head. The cabs I have are a bit newer and don't really come out of the time period of music we play so that played a role also. Also youth sentiment plays its part also ;). And the construction quality is good and the fix is an easy one.....but I still have to stop doing this :)

5. I had a GF that used to take in stray cats, so, yeah, kinda like that eh?

Mark Andrew likes this.
  6. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    The fact that it's working means your investment in fixing it up should be minimal. If it needed new drivers or a crossover, then not so much.

I'd be curious to see how this cabinet looks, personally. Rust on steel hardware is easy enough to fix, but you mentioned damage the the wood, too.

7. I purchased it in the UK and will collect on my next trip to the folks. My old man was kind enough to collect and was so disgusted by the condition started to tinker. I have photos after a vacuum and re- sticking parts of the covering removing fungus spiderwebs and drying. It's clear one driver has been rather damp but no rips or splits....wood is fine but it was full of woodlice they like the damp.... May have eaten inside but I won't know that till I get it here.... To be honest it scrubbed up quite well..... Better than expected after the shocked call from my old man. Do you really want this piece of crap Mark.... Or something to that effect ) I have to correct it's a US built UK assembled unit...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    REMBO likes this.
  8. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    I was expecting worse than that. It looks like it'll be totally usable as long as it hasn't been structurally compromised by the termites. If you find large cavities created by the insects or weakened joints, you could fill them with a hard epoxy of some sort. Smaller holes/cracks most likely could be addressed with regular super glue as its thin viscosity lends it to "wicking" into small areas like that and it dries really hard.

9. Yes the initial migration of animals exiting the cab perhaps lead to some exaggeration on my fathers behalf...I've seen speakers of this series going brown and quite ridgid with age. Is this an issue? With my frontline tx rig I just replaced everything with neos at great cost. That wasn't the idea here.....I wish I had a picture of it with animals but father didn't want to hurt my feelings I think.....)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    voided3 likes this.
  10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    firewood?

Mark Andrew likes this.
  11. It had crossed my mind nice thick 3/4 inch ply. Turns out to be less like a ship's anchor than i originally thought. So I will try and fine a use for it ;)...

12. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    i like beat cabs too! ....if you like something....keep at it!! keep em' going!! :)

Mark Andrew likes this.
  13. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    You just want to help the abused and neglected and make them feel loved again.:smug:

pie_man_25 and Mark Andrew like this.
  14. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    Probably for similar reasons I am drawn to cool and unusual looking guitars.

15. If you use it I don't see the problem. You win.

If you finish cleaning it up and flip it you might get enough to buy dinner for you and your parents. You win.

16. I don't win when it arrives here and my wife says *** another ???? I'm thinking of flipping the Pro series as they are mint keeping the tx series for myself always preferred the look of them anyway ;)

17. BadHairDay

BadHairDay

Jan 3, 2016
    There is a special roped off section of heaven for those who take in neglected kittens and amps and make them healthy, happy and with good tone.

Mark Andrew and wave rider like this.
  18. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    I had a Ampeg 810 that looked like garbage. I never had to stress out at load in/out. It was impossible to hurt my feelings as far as damaging the tolex.

It kinda made me laugh, loved that ugly thing. Drivers sounded great.

I have a thing for really damaged 810s and underpowered heads that nobody likes. Which in the end sounds pretty good

Mark Andrew likes this.
  19. LennyP

LennyP

Dec 25, 2008
    Ireland
    These were great cabs! About 90lbs if I remember. Took loads of volume but maybe bit scooped. Looks good though! I've seen those in a lot worse condition. I had mine for at least 20 years.

20. I have had the 410 tvx for a long time but sold that have the 410 pro at the moment which handles of power but I'm a sucker for a matching rig so this will get a light restoration and a reasonable chance I keep it. For 40 euro it turned out be better than originally thought ;) if I understand correctly the price and sound of the tx was largely the reason the Pro series never really caught on. I look forward to comparing them.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018