1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why aren't there Stingray/Sterling clones?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by taylor16, Apr 17, 2015.

1. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    Obviously plenty of options for high-end boutique jazz and precision basses but none for music man basses. Why?

2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Warwick FNA
    Lakland
    Olp
    G&L l1000 (OK predates stingray)
    Tons of cheapo knockoffs...

svtb15, Scooberto and blindrabbit like this.
  3. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    @/\/\3phist0 I actually don't see many cheapo knockoffs at all. I mean there were the OLP a while back, and you can find one or two on those Chinese Merchant/Nigerian Prince websites, but there's not SX or Jay Turser clone of a 'ray that I know of currently.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    From a cost standpoint Music Man basses are fairly high end to begin with compared to the average Fender. There are certainly some high end basses out there that utilize a MM style pick-up but EB does a pretty good job supplying higher end versions of their platform(family reserve, etc).
    Some consider MM basses to be much like a boutique Fender, in fact I thought that they adopted the 3+1 headstock to avoid copyright issues with Fender.

SirMjac28 and Nephilymbass like this.
  5. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
  6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Copyright/trademark issues maybe?

TonyP- likes this.
  7. Ruthless legal team?

8. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
  9. Personally I'm a stingray 5 player and theres really not many that copy the stingray cosmetically but there's a bunch that try to sonically. And you can generally pick them out by the mm style pickup. For example I owned an original warwick FNA back around 2000. Ash body, mm style pickup, 3 band eq. It sounded kinda
    Like stingray a little bit, except I think the difference in necks(maple vs wenge gives the stingray a more prestine hi end especially when slapping and the fna little bit different midrange charecter. My main complaint about it is it was so light it flopped all over the place. Some other basses that use mm style pickups; Spector had a rebop available with an emg mm style pickup. Modulus used to make some flea basses with the Duncan musicman style pickup.

But personally I think the closest as far as body shape is the ESP surveyor. The surveyor is basically esp making a hybrid of a stingray and a p bass. It literally has a emg mm style pickup and a p style pickup in a soap bar casing. And on the surveyor the mm style pickup can be switched to single coil similar to my sr5 but I don't think it can switch between series and parallel. But yeah surveyors are cool. I haven't owned one myself but I've seen a couple touring bands come through town with guys playing them. "God Forbids" bass player I particularly remember playing one. From hearing them I'd say they definetly sound more like a stingray than a sub but not as similar to a stingray as a sterling by musicman ray35 at the top of the sterling by musicman line. They are very beefy sounding basses though. And in my opinion by Far the best sounding ESP basses I've heard anyone play. image. image. image. image.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  10. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Could be true.

11. Maybe because it is extremely easy (and even necessary) to improve upon the Fender versions of the J and P, whereas the Stingray and Sterling were basically created perfect. ;)

EDIT: There are those who try though, as noted above. Haven't seen this one posted yet - Nordy VM5

vM5_large_web.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  12. I have to agree. Even though my new sr5 hasn't changed much as far as design compared to the one I had a decade ago. It's a great bass with better sounding electronics than the majority of more modern basses. Fenders on the other hand are the basses everyone mods anyways. So I think companies saw how many people buy fenders and swap the electronics and stuff and were like hey we can do that and charge a lot more.

13. Here's yet another image.

14. lsabina

lsabina

Sep 3, 2008
    WNY
    Aslin Dane?

15. Yeah. I had my '91 SR5 for over two decades, and it was just as current and a$$kicking the day I (foolishly) let it go as it was the day I bought it.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  16. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    I love it that the headstock decal says 5 when it's a four banger.

DPOzj7x.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    Captain Chaos and Nephilymbass like this.
  17. Slammer by Hamer made Musicman knock offs at one point in time. I think Jay Turser made some too but the pickup had jazz bass like pole pieces. Samick made some too. But none of them had active pickups.

18. you'll eventually buy another I bet. I know I did

Blankandson and blindrabbit like this.
  19. image. Dean came out with these a year or two back. I think it started as a signature bass for the bassist from shinedown. Although I might be mistaking them for a similar sounding band. Cory Lowry (stuck mojo, dark new day, eye empire) was playing a blacked out one with green DR neons when I saw eye empire come through town. Sounded pretty darn good to me . Then again Cory went to high school 2 miles away from where I live and I've seen him play everything from deans to stingrays, spectors and even an ovation acoustic while opening for his bands over the years And he always sounds good. In fact he's one of the guys that got me into sans amps. I've seen him endorse a bunch of different stuff. One tour he might have peavey cabs on stage, the next he'd have H&K but his tone is mainly him, the bass, and his sans amp psa.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015